Confused about 'Add Page Template' in Pages

steve00

I know likely something I am doing wrong but I create a new page template, add to an existing group (Custom Wrappers or Page Builder)

When I make a new page and go to select a template my newly created template is not listed, all that is listed in templates drop down is 'two columns, three columns and single column'

Can anyone advise what I must be doing wrong as to why my newly created template is not showing in the drop down list

Those templates are found under Page Templates > Page Builder. New templates which you create (unless you select an alternative location) are found under Page Templates > Custom Wrappers.

Have you tried looking under Page Templates > Custom Wrappers just to make sure that they've not gone to the default location, Steve?

they are there (see screenies)

created a test_template in the 'Page Builder' folder

template1.jpg.e45b464a1502c96a85938489a62d610e.jpg

Now I go to pages and create a page and try to select test_template

template2.jpg.2d6ab04e9aef44e70c69a6af1fc47e2b.jpg

As can see no other template there

Same happens if I create the template and place in 'Custom Wrappers' folder

I've just been playing around on mine and one thing I've noticed is that the template doesn't appear as an option if it isn't written correctly. I had one which just contained the word test, and it didn't appear. After I'd pasted in a copy of another template, it appeared in the list.

Have you tried pasting in some working content? If you haven't, I'd advise giving that a go because it will help pinpoint whether there's a problem with the system (if working content in a new wrapper doesn't appear) or if it's a fault with your code (if the template appears with pasted content but not with yours).

I think what options you see also depend on whether you're creating a Page using the Page Builder or Manual. 

Here's what I mean. I've created two new templates. One is under Custom Wrapper, the other under Page Builder. Into each I've pasted some text from another template in the same category, so they're identical:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.ffbf7b54c29ea51e0d70c2d429d944f6.jpg

If I edit a page built with the Page Builder, only the new template built under the heading Page_Builder appears:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.63105df8d706da001002076db46281a6.jpg

And when I edit a page built Manually, I don't have the option of templates under Page Builder, but the new Custom Wrapper is present:

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.625e62d87f17e27c3848ab38b546abaf.jpg

So, process of elimination is

1) create a new template under each category

2) paste content from similar templates into them

3) check with both Page Builder and Manual modes.

If you can't find your templates, then I think you'll need a support ticket. If they're there, though, it'll mean your own code is wrong.

46 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Here's what I mean. I've created two new templates. One is under Custom Wrapper, the other under Page Builder. Into each I've pasted some text from another template in the same category, so they're identical:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.ffbf7b54c29ea51e0d70c2d429d944f6.jpg

If I edit a page built with the Page Builder, only the new template built under the heading Page_Builder appears:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.63105df8d706da001002076db46281a6.jpg

And when I edit a page built Manually, I don't have the option of templates under Page Builder, but the new Custom Wrapper is present:

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.625e62d87f17e27c3848ab38b546abaf.jpg

So, process of elimination is

1) create a new template under each category

2) paste content from similar templates into them

3) check with both Page Builder and Manual modes.

If you can't find your templates, then I think you'll need a support ticket. If they're there, though, it'll mean your own code is wrong.

You were right .. it depends on the content you put in the template (have to remember that)

Thank you

Archived