isLikeMode Performance Issue

silenceheaven

I have around 32 reactions, and from profiling it seems that in \IPS\Content\Reaction::isLikeMode() it was hanging up there for 1ms, but spread across a large amount of calls for each reaction for each post, it seems to be causing some major delays.

Replacing it with this has seemed to have solved the issue, I hope I didn't break anything!

public static $isLikeMode = NULL;

/**
     * Is Like Mode
     * @return bool
    */
    public static function isLikeMode()
    {
        if ( static::$isLikeMode === NULL )
        {
            $i = 0;

foreach( static::roots() AS $row )
            {
                if ( $row->_enabled !== FALSE )
                {
                    $i++;
                }
            }

static::$isLikeMode = ( $i == 1 );
        }

return static::$isLikeMode;
    }

public static $icons = array();

/**
     * Get Icon
     * @return \IPS\File
    */
    public function get__icon()
    {
        if ( empty( static::$icons[ $this->id ] ) )
        {
            static::$icons[ $this->id ] = call_user_func_array( 'parent::get__icon', func_get_args() );
        }

return static::$icons[ $this->id ];
    }

Could something like this be included, as having it call roots() dozens of times, even if its going to the cache backend, is wasted cycles.

Thanks!

Did you mean 1 millisecond or something else? Because 1 ms in total for before your potential improvements really isn't a lot in isolation.

Either way, if it improves performance and doesn't have any other disadvantages I'm personally all for it, so I hope this gets reviewed by the staff.

5 minutes ago, TSP said:

Did you mean 1 millisecond or something else? Because 1 ms in total for before your potential improvements really isn't a lot in isolation.

Either way, if it improves performance and doesn't have any other disadvantages I'm personally all for it, so I hope this gets reviewed by the staff.

From xprofile, it has a decent amount of calls and each one was 1ms for a total of 50ms, but from it looks like, get__icon was causing over 500 calls, with a total time of 60ms. I might be wrong in the solution but there is an issue happening due to the large number of reactions, at least on my server.

There also seems to be __get calls on reactions, 6000 of them with a total time of 66ms.

This is on a single thread page too.

BTW, I have a better fix for the first issue;)
There's no need for the static variable at all. We're going to treat it similar like the advertisements and announcements and create a setting which stores if it's likeMode or not:) This way it won't need to iterate over the elements at all except when we set and rebuild the setting when a reaction is added, deleted,enabled or disabled:)

Archived