Upgrade... 4.2.7

Mark White

So I just installed the initial software yesterday to migrate from Vbulletin over to IPB

and as luck would have it as soon as I log into the site this am I get a notification there is an upgrade available to 4.2.7  and would I like to install...?

I select yes... I log in I walk through everything it says here are the changes and Im liking how simple this all seems compared to making a config script uploading via FTP and all that stuff with Vbulletin.

Then last step I get I cant log into my admin cp We changed the location per the intial install instructions and Im thinking it got lost because I cant load page...

Before upgrade no issue after i CAN NO LONGER ACCESS THE ADMIN CP AND IT STILL SAYS THERE IS AN UPDATE AVAILABLE NOW ON MY SITE...help...LOL

oops Im not typing that again just over look caps...

I just hang here until someone can advise..lol

Im kinda stuck until I get this worked out...

since we changed the root location for the admin cp as advised in the initial install for the software after completed and it was working fine prior to the upgrade attempt I am thinking its something more like my server side cant find it to load the page...

The link in the board under my user name over there to the right is where I am attempting to log into the admin cp at

I am trying to get my server folks to advise right now

Ill advise on this when I figure out what happened and what the fix was, I wish I would have just left it as default since I have awesome servers and backups out the wasoo

lol

Who cares if someone gets in I can restore the entire site in 15 minutes or less...

Learned that a long time ago...

16 minutes ago, Mark White said:

Ok ill look into that thanks...

wow Vbulletin folks didnt do that...huh? cool

If correct what saying changed /admin the folder login into admin cp to different name /exampleacp if that correct look on ftp check the admin cp name if still unsure as to the setup would made a file called constants.php this will have the admin cp folder name.

I contacted support via a ticket...

and I have to say...

The level of help here from members is outstanding while Vbulletin also had some great members ...

I never had support respond to a ticket so fast spot on I renamed it back to admin and poof site is updating as I type this...

so once again thanks to all and shout out to the support here as well I should have done this years ago...

One day and the changes and levels of quality looks and function are miles ahead of the old group...

Mark... :)

It completed wow that simple...

Im such an idiot...I like this now...

YES

Exact same issue here :), I had changed my admin directory name with some random key and on the last step it went back to 1st and then the ACP was not accessible anymore. I quickly had a look into the database but didnt find any param/value where I'd set the admin directory name to changed the default one. Temporarily changed the directory name back to "admin" when logged on my server, but still having issues (500). Looks like there's a value somewhere I have to change but can't figure out where (and unclear on the constants.php) - ticket opened but I think it'd be worth mentioning in the documentation that an auto-update (at this time) won't work if the admin directory name has been changed. 

1 minute ago, M3lvin said:

Exact same issue here :), I had changed my admin directory name with some random key and on the last step it went back to 1st and then the ACP was not accessible anymore. I quickly had a look into the database but didnt find any param/value where I'd set the admin directory name to changed the default one. Temporarily changed the directory name back to "admin" when logged on my server, but still having issues (500). Looks like there's a value somewhere I have to change but can't figure out where (and unclear on the constants.php) - ticket opened but I think it'd be worth mentioning in the documentation that an auto-update (at this time) won't work if the admin directory name has been changed. 

Mmm I think you need to update your admin URL in the Client Area so it downloads correctly.  My admin folder is named differently as a recommended security practice, and my updating is fine.  

Hey Joel,

I actually managed to do the upgrade right now, I had my basic auth that was also messing up with it so I temporarily removed the .htaccess/.htpasswd files and finally the upgrade went fine. Thanks for the information though, I had not seen that we had a form in the client area where to fill in some intel regarding our board. 'think they customize the deliveries based on these forms ? (thought that was only for tech support to assist). 

Edit : 

This is the step below I forgot to do last time (and that I couldn't find in the documentation) : 

Create a file called 'constants.php'. Open it in a text editor, and paste the following contents.

<?php
define( 'CP_DIRECTORY', 'admin' );

Replacing admin with your new directory name. Save the file and upload it to your server in the same directory as conf_global.php. Your ACP directory has now been renamed.

Now I guess with that I should be ok for next auto-upgrades :) !

Archived