Support Tickets - Let me reopen tickets

Scott VZ

I can only mark tickets Resolved. If a resolved ticket stops working, it would be nice if I could reopen that ticket instead of being forced to enter a new one.

I assume that workflow would be better for Invision too, because they'd have all the context of what work has been done on the issue so far.

Whenever I try to refer to one ticket in another ticket, it seems like Invision's support engineers don't really know what I'm talking about or have a way to see the old ticket, even if I give them a URL to it.

The problem with reopening tickets. Some would use the system as intended, reopen only tickets that were a repeated issue. But others would abuse it and open their oldest ticket so it shows up at the top of the support queue. 

Tickets are answered in the order received, giving clients a way to bypass that would impact support times for those that aren't facing a repeated or critical issue. 

An option to CLONE a previous ticket, essentially creating a new ticket, BASED on an old one would be beneficial. 

Abuse of tickets with old dates is only theoretical problem which will not probably exist in real, but if it will,it could be fixed with just a few lines of code.

PS. Sorry for 2 posts. Didn't knew IPS uses that low timings for merging.

1 hour ago, Mr 13 said:

Tickets may be reopened with status "Awaiting Customer Action" so they shouldn't affect queue in any way.

What benefit does that provide?  Awaiting Customer Action, as far as IPS is concerned, is 'Closed'.  It won't show up in the queue for IPS until the customer replies and it changes to 'Open'.  Then it'll show up in the queue based on it's creation date.

I don't dislike the idea, I dislike the implementation.  A clone feature that references the previous ticket would be a better solution IMO.  Rather than getting a ticket that could be re-opened God knows how many times and have dozens of replies creating confusion about what version you're running when a particular issue occurred, etc.  

• Management

Thank you for the feedback. Generally, all you need to do is reference the ticket ID (as mentioned, it's better if you can just give the ID rather than the full URL, which is unique to your account.) The only circumstance in which a tech will not be able to view your previous ticket is if it was classified as an escalation and/or otherwise assigned to management, which removes it from general view. 

Resolved tickets only occur if you manually mark them as resolved, or after two weeks of "awaiting customer action." Several years ago, we decided to "lock" resolved tickets not so much because of abuse, but general confusion and slowing the support process down for everyone (staff and clients alike.) A search across the email box for "Invision" or logging into the client area and clicking the last ticket is super easy for the client (and we do want the support process to be easy, mind you) however, in the case of a ticket that involved advanced support and other departments, there could be 2 pages of just hidden notes and client replies that make it difficult to traverse for new, unrelated issues. Further, our technicians are required to work by start date sort order, so it's not fair to other clients to get bumped to the front of the queue by reopening an old support request. 

It should ideally be a rare circumstance to need to reopen a resolved support request and I'd like to address the circumstances in which that's happening. In cases where that's necessary (such as an update "this will be resolved in a future maintenance update") and you're following up after a couple of updates, please do just open a new ticket and reference the previous ID and we will be happy to assist. I'll also make a note to evaluate how we can make this a bit less painful, such as extending the resolve time to a month. 

Thanks again for the feedback.

10 hours ago, Lindy said:

Resolved tickets only occur if you manually mark them as resolved, or after two weeks of "awaiting customer action."

Two weeks - that's a problem. If i report a many bugs via tickets and then need to wait until they fixed and then if they was not fixed correctly i need to report about it, but tickets are closed because usually fixes are released after that period.
I recently encountered with this again, i've came to client area in order to update my older bugreports but found what they are closed just due this period without any notification. I was forced to look for needed tickets in a bunch of other tickets which really was resolved.

Also please take a look:

Archived