Allen Bradford

17 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

and Moderator or Admin needs to go to their profile to Message them back or start a new Message to reply to them. 

No need to go to the profile, just hover your mouse over their profile photo and click "Message" in the hovercard ;) . Granted this doesn't solve the dilemma of explaining why you're messaging back but just wanted to explain that easy bit.

15 minutes ago, Jim M said:

No need to go to the profile, just hover your mouse over their profile photo and click "Message" in the hovercard ;) . Granted this doesn't solve the dilemma of explaining why you're messaging back but just wanted to explain that easy bit.

Thank you. But, I'm typically on an iPad 95% of the time without an external keyboard or mouse. How can one accomplish that "hovercard" on a touch screen/iPad? As you mentioned it doesn't solve the dilemma. Seems that if a Member chose to add a Message to a report the Message could be treated/coded like any Message or "Conversation", allowing a give and take right out of the chute.

6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Thank you. But, I'm typically on an iPad 95% of the time without an external keyboard or mouse. How can one accomplish that "hovercard" on a touch screen/iPad? As you mentioned it doesn't solve the dilemma. Seems that if a Member chose to add a Message to a report the Message could be treated/coded like any Message or "Conversation", allowing a give and take right out of the chute.

Unfortunately, hovercards are not available on mobile devices as they lack the capability. 

3 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Seems that if a Member chose to add a Message to a report the Message could be treated/coded like any Message or "Conversation", allowing a give and take right out of the chute.

This would be a nightmare for moderators. Every report as a new conversation? From my point of view this is not a good idea. Moreover, IPS could add a mandatory message with a report - I deal with reports that I have no idea why they were sent, because there is no explanation.

It would be great if a moderator who deals with the report can choose to inform about status of the report (completed, deleted, reviewed, etc.) and send a message as a reply to a report.

53 minutes ago, Tomasz Konopka said:

This would be a nightmare for moderators. Every report as a new conversation? From my point of view this is not a good idea. Moreover, IPS could add a mandatory message with a report - I deal with reports that I have no idea why they were sent, because there is no explanation.

It would be great if a moderator who deals with the report can choose to inform about status of the report (completed, deleted, reviewed, etc.) and send a message as a reply to a report.

I don't know. You already typically get a Message from a Member reporting a Post. (I agree that a Message with a Reported Post should be mandatory for the reason you described) And if so you often need to address their concerns/answer there question about the Post they reported. The Member doesn't realize there is no seamless way to Reply back to them so their concerns are often not responded to, (Other than them seeing the reported Post moderated if needed) The hassle also depends on a particular Board. I get few Reported Posts so responding to a Message wouldn't be any trouble, and if I got loads of reported posts I could simply not Reply to the Message. (I also agree that maybe being able to send a Message upon changing status of report to the original Member reporting it might be an option. But still think simply being able to Reply to original Message would be the best bet.) Just my opinion.

Got to thinking....Maybe a simple solution would be instead of the optional Message function for a Reported Post, the Message field becomes a mandatory "Reason for Reporting Post" field/Message. The Member could send/type something as simple as "Possible Troll", or "Profanity" or something more elaborate.  When they click Submit Report a "Thank you for Reporting Post. A Moderator will check into this ASAP." Message block appears. The only problem is if the Member includes any questions or concerns to be addressed in their "Reason for Reporting Post" Message....in that case we are back to square one.

Archived