Plugins / Widgets and Configuration

Frank S. Hagan

The documentation for 4.0 does not at all match what I am seeing on my site (recently upgraded). I am constantly amazed at how hard it is to find any information out about the forums; love the product but wow, the documentation is really lacking.

This guide: 

Says: " The Forums app contains several special widgets that can be placed in the header, footer, or sidebar. " I can't find them. I give up. Where are they?

So I found a couple of plugins I thought could give me what the missing widgets provide. But for configuring plugins, this page:

Says: "In 4.0, each plugin is allocated a settings page which is accessed just by hitting the "Edit" button on the list of plugins."

There is no edit button next to the plugins: https://www.screencast.com/t/t0BYgSDvkz I can't figure out how to configure the plugins. Is there a guide to this somewhere? 

You're asking about two separate things so I'll answer each one separately.  

Widgets and Blocks

As @TAMAN suggested, as long as you're logged into an Administrator account you should see an arrow on the left-hand side of the page.  Once you open that menu, you'll see all of the widgets and blocks available to you.  Drag  those widgets and blocks into any of the available hot zones.  Be aware that some of the widgets and blocks have additional configurations (just click on the "Edit" button if there's one available.)

Plugins

Not all plugins have editable settings.  Some plugins are simple, so they don't require any configuration.  If you look at my list of Plugins, you'll see that Astromatic and Kitchen Sink both have Edit (the pencil icon), whereas Pre-defined Topic Fields does not have any Edit.  

589abd6ad36f8_PluginList.thumb.JPG.0c1ef5b04701488f12bfed0fb42cd6fa.JPG

For the two plugins that you have installed, they don't require any additional settings.  They work, as is.  And you will find them in the Block Manager.

Archived