Inactive Members & Real Last Activity Supporttopic

5 minutes ago, Fosters said:

Can you tell me what exactly you need @MythonPonty,@SMen and @CheersnGears to see if it can be done as a new app.

This app was certainly much more than simply identifying last active dates.  It was an automated rule based app that moved members into inactive groups and/or deleted the accounts.  Key word automated, rather than an admin having to manually run search and move/delete routines...

That functionality always existed, so I am confused why there would be no need for such automation?  Unless I am missing some new feature that IPS added to automate this?

Thanks....

1 hour ago, Fosters said:

Too much changed in IPS in the meanwhile, for example the real last activity date is now being logged by IPS, there's no need for this at all, and for the other minor feature of this app it's not worth to create and provide an upgrade.

Can you tell me what exactly you need @MythonPonty,@SMen and @CheersnGears to see if it can be done as a new app.

It was the automation that I was interested in.  I had the app automagically move users who hadn't logged on in a while to a more restrictive member group for security reasons, I also liked that it would send out "hey, we haven't seen you in a while" e-mails.  I don't think the native IPS software does that.

Have you tried using group promotions for this? I'm not using it, but you should be able to create a new group called "inactive members" and create a promotion rule using the Member last visited filter.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

If it's not possible, I'll create a new app for this:)

50 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

I also liked that it would send out "hey, we haven't seen you in a while" e-mails.  I don't think the native IPS software does that.

Ditto...  Group promotions also does not delete accounts.  The email feature has the ability to rekindle interest in the site rather than just silently demoting a member....

23 minutes ago, Fosters said:

Have you tried using group promotions for this? I'm not using it, but you should be able to create a new group called "inactive members" and create a promotion rule using the Member last visited filter.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

If it's not possible, I'll create a new app for this:)

I haven't, but that looks like a possibility for at least the security side.  I just do this to make sure that if someone gets their credentials compromised the attacker can't do much to my site.

But the e-mails sent to dormant members would be nice too.   Even if you did an app for just that it would be useful for driving engagement.

1 minute ago, SMen said:

Ditto...  Group promotions also does not delete accounts.  The email feature has the ability to rekindle interest in the site rather than just silently demoting a member....

I never automatically delete accounts unless they have zero content.  Even still, I just have them moved into a group and clean it out manually every couple months.