Lack of supported apps - unable to generate revenue

Robert_ja

I've found myself in a bit of a quagmire with the latest ipb upgrade I did. My site used to support itself with job listing and from looking around the site there's no longer a viable solution for me to provide this service to employers and I need a little help developing a viable solution. Otherwise ill have to shut my site down.

Thanks for any pointers or advice you have to offer.

Bobster

Thanks Edward for chiming in and whatever assistnce you can help me with 

In past I had utilized a CLASSIFIED ADS app that was able to facilitate job listings that employers would pay for. Basic Job listings is all I need, no resume system and it doesnt need an employer area. I have 3 categories / industries I serve (Power, Telephone & Cable TV) and just a simple solution for the employer to pay via credit card and list a basic job opening and a link back to their corporate website where the employee would apply. Basic fields like website, email, phone and contact.

17 hours ago, Robert_ja said:

In past I had utilized a CLASSIFIED ADS app that was able to facilitate job listings that employers would pay for. Basic Job listings is all I need, no resume system and it doesnt need an employer area. I have 3 categories / industries I serve (Power, Telephone & Cable TV) and just a simple solution for the employer to pay via credit card and list a basic job opening and a link back to their corporate website where the employee would apply. Basic fields like website, email, phone and contact.

I second what Edward said: This is rather easy to achieve with Pages and Commerce. No third-party solutions necessary. 

We are talking about Classifieds, right? Money, multi currency stuff, monetize the site (payments to advertise, or even sell tge product), comission, etc?

So, in the end, pay $70 (commerce costs $70?) only to change a member group?

No need. It's just use the ACP. Cost free!

Actually, EVERYTHING can be made on Pages: Store, Blog, Gallery, Downloads, Tutorials, Classifieds, Videos System, etc.

The main thing you should take into consideration is: have a form to enter the data, make some templates and that's all. The rest is up to the core.

But you can't compare a whole customized app with .... Pages DB! LOL.

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

We are talking about Classifieds, right? Money, multi currency stuff, monetize the site (payments to advertise, or even sell tge product), comission, etc?

No. There was a specific brief (“Basic Job listings is all I need/pay via credit”) and it was pointed out that IPS stock apps can do that. That’s all. The person asking the question needs to weigh the options and decide what’s best for him.

it probably depends on whether you already have Pages and Commerce and are happy to spend time setting them up.  If you do and are then you can create something quite effective, but if you don't have both applications and want a tailored turnkey solution then a bespoke app is probably the way to go (and may also be cheaper).

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes, at least the first beta is expected to this date. Let me know if you want to see how it is and participate in feedback.

Sure, I'd like that.

I will say that I haven't upgraded to 4 yet. The classified section on my site is the only thing holding me back from upgrading, so once the beta is available, I will first upgrade, then add the beta.

I will have to let the members know that it is in beta so they are aware of the possibility of bugs, and to send me any issues so I can pass them on to you.

Thanks.

Also is this post good enough, or do you want a PM?

Just now, The.Mage.William@gmail.com said:

I will have to let the members know that it is in beta so they are aware of the possibility of bugs,

Beta will be available only for those who are donating now (actually buying the app before its release) to sponsor its development and it is totally inadvisable to use a beta application on a live site... plus: it will be UNSUPPORTED while in Beta stage. The porpuse is to find and report bugs/feedback.

Also, I'm not sure yet if I will make an upgrade routine to get data from the old app. This is a new app; I have nothing to do with the old one. And if I will, surely won't be there in first Beta.

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

Beta will be available only for those who are donating now (actually buying the app before its release) to sponsor its development and it is totally inadvisable to use a beta application on a live site... plus: it will be UNSUPPORTED while in Beta stage. The porpuse is to find and report bugs/feedback.

Also, I'm not sure yet if I will make an upgrade routine to get data from the old app. This is a new app; I have nothing to do with the old one. And if I will, surely won't be there in first Beta.

Ah, I understand about the beta. So I will wait until it is available. I have no problem pre-purchasing it, as long as I know when the full version will be out.

And yes I am aware this is not an upgrade or update to the other Classified app. I'm just searching for a replacement. I didn't expect any of the ads to transfer over.

I did look at sales portal pro, but not sure if it is what I need. If I understand it, it looks more like an ebay type of addon, and that is not what I am looking for. I don't want to end up the middle man in transactions, and have to help resolve disputes. (I think I might have a solution for that though.)

I will wait as long as possible, but since they removed support for anything under 4.0, if my site runs into any glitches, I will probably just upgrade. (No issues yet.)

Archived