Changing hosts and can't migrate database

I have been trying for several months now to migrate my site successfully to a new host. I've followed all the guides and everything usually looks like it's gone correctly...until I start to dig deeper. A site that is meant to have 100K+ posts on it is only showing about 10K of them, meaning a lot of info is getting lost on the way over and I'm unsure how to fix it. I obviously don't want to lose everything so could someone point me in the right direction or can someone help me? I'm running 3.4.6 and wish to stay on it. I don't want to upgrade to 4.

Most hosts (if you are moving to them) would import a database for you if its large or you do not have shell access to do it yourself. ^_^

Have you asked your 'new' host if they are willing to do this for you ? You could then just export it and upload it somewhere in the filesystem temporarily (ideally above public_html) for them to import.

If both hosts have Cpanel then it can be a bit easier as its possible in some cases to do a direct 'transfer'

• 1 month later...

thank you all, have been trying to make sense of it all and trying bigdump. The problem is actually DLing the database in the first place. I've used bigdump before and it sends all the into to new server, but when it gets there it's not actually the entire database, so it's the grabbing it in the beginning that isn't working.

The best way is to use ssh and dumb the database and then use ssh again on the new server to import it....

But we must know more info about your system so we can help you....

Do you have ssh access in any way or not?On most of the cases you can get ssh access !

If the database is not big you can dump it using Phpmyadmin for example and import it using ssh on the new server.

If there is no ssh on old and new server you should look for hosting that offers that as it is very important ^_^

Archived