Auto logged out

kar3n2

• 2 months later...

Hi, sorry to drag up an older thread, my community are reporting this problem at the moment. If they login on one device and them move to another device and login there, they have to login on the first device again as it logs them out. Did anyone come up with a resolution to this?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2016 at 3:54 PM, Winbar said:

Hi, sorry to drag up an older thread, my community are reporting this problem at the moment. If they login on one device and them move to another device and login there, they have to login on the first device again as it logs them out. Did anyone come up with a resolution to this?

I just came here to report this, or rather ask under what conditions will IPS kill the session across devices.

Was it ever resolved? Or, at least, a cause determined? I'd struggle to get repeatable steps from our members, as it's rather sporadic. 

8 hours ago, rllmukforum said:

I just came here to report this, or rather ask under what conditions will IPS kill the session across devices.

Was it ever resolved? Or, at least, a cause determined? I'd struggle to get repeatable steps from our members, as it's rather sporadic. 

Yes, the issue is that when you log in, it will log out all other devices that if the last time you logged in was over a week ago. IMO it's completely ridiculous, and offers no benefits at all, but IPS don't seem to think it needs changing. I posted it as feedback, and it was marked as completed, but it hasn't changed as far as I can tell

I hear of this problem from my users almost daily. But this happen also to people who log in daily.

If they use more than one device they are being logged out from time to time. And nobody knows why.

IPS, please take care of this problem. Please!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one having this issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2016 at 6:19 PM, rllmukforum said:

As mentioned by @Colonel_mortis this is still an issue, and it does appear to happen to people who aare logging into devices daily. I use both my phone and my desktop machine to log in and sometimes I'll need to relog, othertimes I wont. It does get frustrating! 

3 hours ago, Winbar said:

As mentioned by @Colonel_mortis this is still an issue, and it does appear to happen to people who aare logging into devices daily. I use both my phone and my desktop machine to log in and sometimes I'll need to relog, othertimes I wont. It does get frustrating! 

Not sure if this helps, but I recently logged in using incognito mode, to triage an issue, and it would appear the forum killed all my other sessions, presumably thinking this was a brand new browser. Perhaps it's a security feature? A means of revoking sessions if you know one is on a device you no longer have access to?

Recently someone from the team explained the function (and the problem) of the auto log in feature on more than one devices.

The problem comes up if one of the devices wasn't logged in for more than a week. As soon as this person visits the site again with this device all other devices are also logged out because the cookie timed out.

This really needs some improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

We've made no server side changes, aside from updating to latest IPS recently, but I've got certain users who are being logged out daily, some switching device (but one they've used within the 1 week timeframe), and some within 24 hours on the same device. 

Is this something on my end, or do I need to file a bug report?

Archived