Game Server : Website Donations

Setman590

This is going to be a lengthy explanation so brace yourself.

The community I am a part of is currently hosting a Garry's Mod server. We have IP. Nexus or whatever it's called for IPB v. 4.x and I'm trying to come up with a system that, if a person donates, it will provide perks across the community, (on the website and in the server. Each have it's own means of providing perks in and of themselves, however there's no integration between the two. What I'm striving for is to integrate the two so when somebody purchases a donation package on our website, the perks it entails are also provided on the game server.

Now this can't be impossible (as I've seen other people say) because each of them have their own methods of applying perks. Surely there's a way to have the webserver send a remote message to the game server, or vice versa, the game server send a remote message to the mysql web-server. I've already looked into the website's SQL database and noted the different donation package ids. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this would work?

29 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm doing what you wanting.

I'm using Devfuse's Donation Mod that allows you to set ranges of donation go to A, B, or C groups. Works really well for my site. Donating members gain access to different areas of the site as they donate more they gain more.

This doesn't show any form of integration with game servers.

2 hours ago, J. Butcher said:

This is going to be a lengthy explanation so brace yourself.

The community I am a part of is currently hosting a Garry's Mod server. We have IP. Nexus or whatever it's called for IPB v. 4.x and I'm trying to come up with a system that, if a person donates, it will provide perks across the community, (on the website and in the server. Each have it's own means of providing perks in and of themselves, however there's no integration between the two. What I'm striving for is to integrate the two so when somebody purchases a donation package on our website, the perks it entails are also provided on the game server.

Now this can't be impossible (as I've seen other people say) because each of them have their own methods of applying perks. Surely there's a way to have the webserver send a remote message to the game server, or vice versa, the game server send a remote message to the mysql web-server. I've already looked into the website's SQL database and noted the different donation package ids. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this would work?

I currently operate multiple GMOD servers, have have full integration with both ingame and forums, as well as Teamspeak. What you are looking at could be done a little bit in forums, but you have to also code garrys mod to work with it as well. Something like what you are asking is more GMOD development than IPB development.

2 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

I currently operate multiple GMOD servers, have have full integration with both ingame and forums, as well as Teamspeak. What you are looking at could be done a little bit in forums, but you have to also code garrys mod to work with it as well. Something like what you are asking is more GMOD development than IPB development.

Is there a specific Gmod mod you're using that assists with it to point me in the right direction?

I used to write Source Mod plug-ins. I did this for my TF2 community actually.

What you will need to do is create a plug-in for GMOD that will talk directly to IP.Nexus. Basically, when a purchase is made or donation is made, the server will run a task or cron job that will also write said members IP/Steam ID what ever to the Gary's mod perk file that you have.

Back in the day when I did it I had it setup like this:

When a user registered, they MUST submit their STEAM ID, else it used IP:Address. In TF2, you had a MOTD that I directly linked to a custom Donation page (that was really for IPB) and when they clicked to donate, it took them to the site where they donated. I then used (at the time) PayPal's API to process it and store that information in a file.

Then with the TF2 donation plug-in, I had it read the file that was created with the Steam ID's. I ended up having it all integrated with my custom stats plug-in, HLSTATS, etc etc.

But that's the way I'd still probably do it today

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played around with it much, but you could probably write a plugin on IPS\nexus\extensions\nexus\Item\Package (or Donation, depending on what you are setting up) on the onPaid and similar methods that allows parent::onPaid() to run, and then pings a custom script on your game server afterwards.

Or, of course as others have suggested, have a script on your game server that periodically checks the Commerce database for purchases and does what it needs to do with that info.

On 4/8/2016 at 8:46 PM, bfarber said:

I haven't played around with it much, but you could probably write a plugin on IPS\nexus\extensions\nexus\Item\Package (or Donation, depending on what you are setting up) on the onPaid and similar methods that allows parent::onPaid() to run, and then pings a custom script on your game server afterwards.

Or, of course as others have suggested, have a script on your game server that periodically checks the Commerce database for purchases and does what it needs to do with that info.

The first part of your post Farber is actually how half of my  integration is done between forums and my servers. Then the game has a timer to ping back to forums. We have rank and currency setup with plain old Nexus/commerce and two custom hooks.

Archived