IPS 4 Extremely Slow

Kurt De Pauw

After the update to the last version I have several problems

The forum is extremely SLOW, and I say SLOOOOOWWWWW

So slow that 9 of 10 times is get an error

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx

I have a VPS (not some shared hosting ) with 8 GB memory so .... that is not a problem

Also sometimes the forum just stops working completely and throws me the error message

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now. 

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later. 

Try again

When I then go to the /admin URL I got below URL

admin/?adsess=samt8kv8v8cdd5bihji5ksqju1&app=core&module=system&controller=login&error=Too+many+connections&ref=

then after some time it just works again ....

I must say ... IPS has done a great job on the new look of the board and although I can't find anything anymore in the adminCP , I really like it.

But the performance is just not that .... I can't imagine that I need to upgrade my VPS just by changing version.

Regards,

Kurt 

LOL ( well actually it is not fun anymore )

Just when I post this message I have it again

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now. 

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later. 

Try again

Okay ... just tried to open the PLESK to connect to the Server and I get below error

ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception: SQLSTATE[08004] [1040] Too many connections (Abstract.php:144)

and this one 

ERROR: PleskDBException: Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect(): Too many connections (Error code: 1040) (Abstract.php:69)

It will be indeed something to do with the connections to the SQL , but on the other hand it looks like that the upgrade changed something how it handels these connections

or my forum just magically increased by users :-)

I actually had something similar happen working on something for a client, try turning *off* prefetching in your browser. Specifically, if you are using FireFox, it makes a literal ton of connections during normal browsing by default: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections

I mention this as I haven't seen another browser be this aggressive in prefetching by default, and it is so aggressive it will trigger a block from any sane CSF config.

Archived