CentOS / PHP

Aiwa

I'll start by saying I'm quite disappointed in CentOS and their lack of ability to update.  

I'm running CentOS 6.7, which can't currently be upgraded to CentOS 7.  Grievance #1

The only EPEL supported PHP version is 5.3.3.  Grievance #2 

All the other repo's I've found have been abandoned or are outdated, Webtatic, remi, rpm forge, etc... 

Does anyone have a repo that has an updated / maintained version of PHP 5.4 or 5.5 that can be used on CentOS 6.7?  Or a stable / reliable way to upgrade CentOS 6.7 to 7, which has PHP 5.4 in its repo.

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

I'll start by saying I'm quite disappointed in CentOS and their lack of ability to update.  

I'm running CentOS 6.7, which can't currently be upgraded to CentOS 7.  Grievance #1

The only EPEL supported PHP version is 5.3.3.  Grievance #2 

All the other repo's I've found have been abandoned or are outdated, Webtatic, remi, rpm forge, etc... 

Does anyone have a repo that has an updated / maintained version of PHP 5.4 or 5.5 that can be used on CentOS 6.7?  Or a stable / reliable way to upgrade CentOS 6.7 to 7, which has PHP 5.4 in its repo.

Remi repo have PHP 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 and 7.0. All of them with the last released version from php. It also have all the extensions you need and more.

PS: Remi and outdated in the same line? Remi is one of the most active repos for Centos.

PS2: As for the update from centos 6 to centos 7, its possible, but you need to be onsite. You can do what i did. Just bought the same server in the same datacenter with Centos 7. Configure it and then migrate the site over there. The downtime was something like 5 minutes. 

IUS and/or SCL appear to be what I'm looking for. Thanks @Machsterdaemon

@RevengeFNF Looks like Remi may keep some things up to date, but there are other issues, hence my reservations.

Les RPM de Remi repository - (See http://rpms.famillecollet.com/) Remi Collet maintains latest version of MySQL and PHP (backports of fedora RPM). Suggest caution if using this repo due to replacement of core packages.

I appreciate y'alls prompt replies.  Have a Happy New Year!

6 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

IUS and/or SCL appear to be what I'm looking for. Thanks @Machsterdaemon

@RevengeFNF Looks like Remi may keep some things up to date, but there are other issues, hence my reservations.

I appreciate y'alls prompt replies.  Have a Happy New Year!

You can use Remi to update php and nothing more. Remi comes disabled by default, so you can use yum --enablerepo=remi,remi-php56 install. For the rest you use the normal yum update. 

Remi is faster than IUS aplying security patchs etc. They already support php 7.0.

And for a quick note, i use Remi to update everything since Centos 5(im now in 7), many years ago. I don't remember having a single problem or issue because an update made by Remi. They know what they are doing ;)

Upgrading PHP was a breeze compared to upgrading MySQL. Going from Mysql 5.1 to 5.6, even using YUM, was a PITA.  Ended up having to reinstall Mysql and restore databases and users.  

You talked me into using Remi. :)

My DEV server finally has green checks for everything required for 4.1 without any 'you really should be using a newer version' warning.

I used the MySQL repo for the upgrade.  After running the upgrade, the daemon wouldn't restart and therefore couldn't run mysql_upgrade.  Even though none of my databases use innodb, it couldn't load the storage engine, so I had to scrap the install entirely and start over.  A bit of a PITA when I've got no management software on this DEV box, it's CLI only.

5 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

you always need to wait for Eva to update the mod, when a new version of the OS is released or something like that.

Huh... that's not how it works here.  His script just installs the basic software, most software is kept up-to-date with yum or automatically with yum-cron from all repos.  Some software is compiled and can be updated from the menu.  Latest versions of PHP en NGINX are available with http2 support and letsencrypt if you like.

But if you like to do everything manually, sure this script is not your way to go, but maybe Aiwa likes it as he had problems with upgrading ;)

The problem with that, is that the script does everything for you, so you don't understand whats is doing in the background. So if you have a problem in the future, there is a chance of you do not know how to resolve it.

In my case, everything was done by me, every configuration, every install etc etc. If something bad happens, 99,99% of the cases, i already know how to resolve it and what did go wrong.

29 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

The problem with that, is that the script does everything for you, so you don't understand whats is doing in the background. So if you have a problem in the future, there is a chance of you do not know how to resolve it.

In my case, everything was done by me, every configuration, every install etc etc. If something bad happens, 99,99% of the cases, i already know how to resolve it and what did go wrong.

I used to do everything manually myself but centminmod is a very awesome tool to automate the process, takes less time and eva is also just amazing.
Of course you will need to understand how everything works or centminmod is not the way to go, it is provided as-is and only bugs related to the scripts get fixed so you definitely need to be able to do everything on your own.
His docs are very thorough and I very much like the way he sets everything up (of course this comes down to personal preference) but once you got everything figured out then it's alot easier to maintain everything/keep everything up2date.

Especially if you have multiple servers this comes in handy as it saves alot of time.

Honestly, I'd rather run into issues and learn than rely on automated scripts that do everything for me. 

When one of those scripts doesn't work, for whatever reason, I'd be up a creek not knowing how to fix it if I didn't know what it was doing. 

Nothing I run requires much power, so thankfully I only have to worry about setup and general function and not squeezing out performance. 

Archived