How To Install 2nd Copy Of Forum For Testing Purposes?

Morpheo

What is the proper protocol here? I will have a live version of my forum for end-users, but then I need another copy installed on my server for testing purposes. Do I need to buy a second license for this?

Also, is there a procedure for how to carry over modifications and setting changes made to the test version to the live version? Or this has to be done all manually?

If you could share your secrets for how you manage these kinds of logistics for in a live environment with 1000s of users, that would be great! Obviously you can't be running tweaks and tests on the live forum, right?

You don't need another license key, on your test forum at the end of your key is to past the word after your license key "test"
IF you don't have another hosting, Just create and folder in your currently one, for example. www.James.com/Jamestest/admin 

this is my test website http://www.baysideves.com/TestSite/ It's on the same server but on different domain. Once you have set up the test website your Client Area will also update telling you that you have two lots of website with test at the end. WE only aloud one test site anyway for each clients.

It's Simple really, I mostly install things on my test website and if it goes well then I install it on my real deal site. just about a week ago I installed an addon on my test website, and it didnt work with problems and errors, spent about 2 days working it out. Ends results that I installed it on my life site and I had no problems at all.

@EmpireKickAss actually you're breaking TOS. I was informed by staff when I submitted a ticket, that the demo/test board must not be accessible to other users. You have to put it in a passworded directory that people can't get to, or you have to keep it in offline mode. Either way it cannot be available for guests.

1 hour ago, Koby said:

@EmpireKickAss actually you're breaking TOS. I was informed by staff when I submitted a ticket, that the demo/test board must not be accessible to other users. You have to put it in a passworded directory that people can't get to, or you have to keep it in offline mode. Either way it cannot be available for guests.

I didn't know, I can't found it anywhere regarding that. And yes my test website is located in a private part of the server and It's now offline. Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm gonna see if the staff team will post here saying the real deal rules

Per license you may have one live site and one test site. The test site must be offline to the general public. You may allow other users to access the test site for testing purposes but it shall not to be used as a secondary community site.

To answer @Morpheo's question... You must use your license key with -TESTINSTALL immediately after....

Example 123456-789123456-7891234-TESTINSTALL

Archived