Cosmic by IPS Themes

Tom Christian

Cosmic by IPS Themes [Support Topic]

Rules:

1. Read the user guide. If people ask questions that are clearly answered in the guide, I will simply reply with this same link.

2. Visit the IPS Themes documentation section before posting.

3. Search through this topic before posting as your question may have already been answered.

4. Post detailed questions, provide screenshots and provide URL's. If you just tell me something is broken, I cannot help. I need to see a live demonstration of the issue or at the very least a screenshot so I can try to diagnose what's happening.

5. Be respectful :smile:. Please don't leave a 1 star review without even asking me for support. I'm happy to help every single customer. IPS4 is new - things will go wrong and more often than not, it won't be to do with my theme but the underlying software.

Another great theme as always from IPS Themes.

I did however see a weird display problem. It appears that everything is left justified?

2015-11-30_20-41-06.thumb.jpg.c5faa670d5

Is the above a correct display format?

Clicking submit a new topic gets

2015-11-30_20-46-04.thumb.jpg.c0ca8d0475

It appears to be a global problem with at least the last two theme releases. I've tried IE, FF, and cleared both browsers.

11 hours ago, mesteele101 said:

Another great theme as always from IPS Themes.

I did however see a weird display problem. It appears that everything is left justified?

2015-11-30_20-41-06.thumb.jpg.c5faa670d5

Is the above a correct display format?

Clicking submit a new topic gets

2015-11-30_20-46-04.thumb.jpg.c0ca8d0475

It appears to be a global problem with at least the last two theme releases. I've tried IE, FF, and cleared both browsers.

I can't replicate this. Could you link me a page where this happens just so I can be sure? Also, are you familiar with the inspect element feature of Chrome or Firefox? If you inspect that container element, do you see anything strange?

Edit - Nevermind, It seems to be Windows only. It's fixed now and will be rolled out in the next update on all of my themes.

4 hours ago, Tom Christian said:

I can't replicate this. Could you link me a page where this happens just so I can be sure? Also, are you familiar with the inspect element feature of Chrome or Firefox? If you inspect that container element, do you see anything strange?

Edit - Nevermind, It seems to be Windows only. It's fixed now and will be rolled out in the next update on all of my themes.

It works great :)

Another thing; when the display is wide there is a LOT of white space on the screen making it diffecult or time consuming matching the forum name with the stats on the right. Is it possible to create a zebra effect that makes it easier for the clients to scan through the forum names? I looked in the docs and didn't see anything.

Is it possible to get access to the ACP on a closed session to test an app to make sure it works. For me I use 'Tutorials', which is a major application on my site. In the past 'Tutorials' has failed to work on one third party theme developers themes.

1 minute ago, mesteele101 said:

It works great :)

Another thing; when the display is wide there is a LOT of white space on the screen making it diffecult or time consuming matching the forum name with the stats on the right. Is it possible to create a zebra effect that makes it easier for the clients to scan through the forum names? I looked in the docs and didn't see anything.

Is it possible to get access to the ACP on a closed session to test an app to make sure it works. For me I use 'Tutorials', which is a major application on my site. In the past 'Tutorials' has failed to work on one third party theme developers themes.

Do you have a screenshot with an example?

Also, If you PM me the app, I'll install it temporarily so that you can test.

1 minute ago, Tom Christian said:

Do you have a screenshot with an example?

Also, If you PM me the app, I'll install it temporarily so that you can test.

Example; I'm not sure what you are requesting. The white space example would be the current forums display. You shifted all the stats to the right for Windows and it's the white space it created between the forum/topic name on the left and the stats on the right.

If you mean an example of a zebra effect I would need more time as I'm unable to pursue that right now. Someway to make it easily destingusable from subject line to subject line. The top line could start out white,  and the following could be very lite gray, or some other color to blend with the theme. User configurable in the ACP Theme editor could be the way to go?

I'm thinking that the developer would have a problem with me sending a paid app :) I'm sure if you contacted him that he would accomdating.

Tutorials

2 hours ago, mesteele101 said:

Example; I'm not sure what you are requesting. The white space example would be the current forums display. You shifted all the stats to the right for Windows and it's the white space it created between the forum/topic name on the left and the stats on the right.

If you mean an example of a zebra effect I would need more time as I'm unable to pursue that right now. Someway to make it easily destingusable from subject line to subject line. The top line could start out white,  and the following could be very lite gray, or some other color to blend with the theme. User configurable in the ACP Theme editor could be the way to go?

I'm thinking that the developer would have a problem with me sending a paid app :) I'm sure if you contacted him that he would accomdating.

Tutorials

I see what you mean. I'll have a look and see if anything can be done.

• 3 weeks later...

1.0.1 RELEASED
    - Improved sensitivity of floated search dropdown menu
    - Offline page layout issues
    - Removed unused framework bg/hero images from theme resources.
    - Bug: search not opening in tablet responsive breakpoint
    - Bug: Follow links look unstyled inside Calendar & Pages
    - Bug: Follow topic popup unfollow button text clashes
    - Bug: New bog entry editor width is not 100% and editor mobile mode is displayed
    - Bug: Redirect forums have two description tooltips
    - Bug: Hot topics unstyled inside topic list view
    - Bug: Saving multiple groups in Live customiser group settings causes error message
    - Bug: Live customiser background image saving issues fixed
    - Default header sticky setting set to 0 by default
    - Bug: Contact us block causing alert popup in the theme settings
    - Bug: Topic preview popup tabs aren’t visible
    - Bug: Account settings tabs aren’t visible
    - Bug: when restore default breadcrumbs is set, font size is too small on crumbs + mark as read etc
    - Bug: Fixed mainWrapper table cell width issue affecting certain browsers

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Robert Angle said:

Does this theme require that I use the drop down menus, or can the tabs like the IPS default theme or your Luminous theme be used instead?

All of my themes have the ability to display the navigation in the traditional default theme style or in a floated dropdown style. This is configurable in the theme settings :)

9 hours ago, Robert Angle said:

How about the alternating colors per row, like in the default template for Forum View and Topic Listing?

This was suggested earlier. It seems all or most of these 4.x themes are this way. For me on a wide screen it just makes my eyes wonder too much to track a particular row. I'm still waiting on the Pulse theme to be released, and hoping the zebra effect for those windows will be implemented. I'd even take an optio in the configuration to turn this on with a configurable color option.

I haven't upgraded to 4.1 yet but I am almost ready. I've been using Luminous on 3.4 for about 3 years.

The alternating rows is going to be essential. All that white space is not only hard to read rows, but uneventful as well. The zebra effect gives it some style.

It looks like I am gonna have to modify the default template, and then maybe switch over to a Tom Christian template at a later date. One of the things I do like is how he makes the posts look like bubble clouds of the individuals talk. The posts and replies on the default are kinda lackluster.

On 1/9/2016 at 3:13 PM, Robert Angle said:

How about the alternating colors per row, like in the default template for Forum View and Topic Listing?

21 hours ago, mesteele101 said:

This was suggested earlier. It seems all or most of these 4.x themes are this way. For me on a wide screen it just makes my eyes wonder too much to track a particular row. I'm still waiting on the Pulse theme to be released, and hoping the zebra effect for those windows will be implemented. I'd even take an optio in the configuration to turn this on with a configurable color option.

I'll add this style as a configurable option in the next version.

I would like to report a bug....

When Social Media Icons are enabled, and we are using your Breadcrumb instead of the Restore Traditional Breadcrumb option, the title of the topic drops down into the main area if the topic title is very large. There are 2 solutions....

1) Disabled Social Media Icons. This allows the breadcrumb to not be broken.

2) Use the Restore Traditional Breadcrumb option.

It would be nice to be able to use the Social Media Icons and still have long breadcrumbs appear on the same line.

12 hours ago, Robert Angle said:

I would like to report a bug....

When Social Media Icons are enabled, and we are using your Breadcrumb instead of the Restore Traditional Breadcrumb option, the title of the topic drops down into the main area if the topic title is very large. There are 2 solutions....

1) Disabled Social Media Icons. This allows the breadcrumb to not be broken.

2) Use the Restore Traditional Breadcrumb option.

It would be nice to be able to use the Social Media Icons and still have long breadcrumbs appear on the same line.

Can you show me a screenshot or ideally a URL to a page where I can see this issue in person?

2 hours ago, Tom Christian said:

Can you show me a screenshot or ideally a URL to a page where I can see this issue in person?

Here are some screenshots. I'd have to give you a username and password to my test site since I don't allow the public to change themes.

The first screenshot is when I have "Enable Social Media Icons" turned OFF. The breadcrumb displays properly.

Screenshot-(5)-upload.thumb.jpg.18c208c6

The second screenshot is when I have "Enable Social Media Icons" turned ON. Part of the breadcrumb drops to the line below...

Screenshot-(6)-upload.thumb.jpg.f9648246

I currently don't use social media icons, so this doesn't effect me. However, I may want to in the future.

- Bob

4 hours ago, Robert Angle said:

Here are some screenshots. I'd have to give you a username and password to my test site since I don't allow the public to change themes.

The first screenshot is when I have "Enable Social Media Icons" turned OFF. The breadcrumb displays properly.

Screenshot-(5)-upload.thumb.jpg.18c208c6

The second screenshot is when I have "Enable Social Media Icons" turned ON. Part of the breadcrumb drops to the line below...

Screenshot-(6)-upload.thumb.jpg.f9648246

I currently don't use social media icons, so this doesn't effect me. However, I may want to in the future.

- Bob

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. That screenshot is really helpful for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded the latest version 1.0.3 but it still says "Update Available" in my AdminCP.

Also, explain Parent-Child themes to me. I create a child theme based on your theme, and then modify the template files of my child theme to a great degree, both html, css, and ips forum coding. Then I export my child theme, re-upload it as a parent theme and set it as my forum default.

When I "Upload a new version" of Cosmic, do my template changes get overwritten? In other words, should I document all my changes because I will have to manually change them all again when you update your template?*

*Edit: The reason I upload my modified child theme as a parent theme is so changes don't get overwritten. My plan is to make test edits to my child theme (that only is available to me as the admin) and then export/upload/make-default when I am happy with the changes.

5 minutes ago, Robert Angle said:

I've uploaded the latest version 1.0.3 but it still says "Update Available" in my AdminCP.

Also, explain Parent-Child themes to me. I create a child theme based on your theme, and then modify the template files of my child theme to a great degree, both html, css, and ips forum coding. Then I export my child theme, re-upload it as a parent theme and set it as my forum default.

When I "Upload a new version" of Cosmic, do my template changes get overwritten? In other words, should I document all my changes because I will have to manually change them all again when you update your template?*

*Edit: The reason I upload my modified child theme as a parent theme is so changes don't get overwritten. My plan is to make test edits to my child theme (that only is available to me as the admin) and then export/upload/make-default when I am happy with the changes.

I'll look into update available issue.

The point of parent child themes is that you make edits to the child theme. When an update is available, you upload the new version overwriting the parent theme. The templates in the child theme that you have not modified will be automatically updated and the templates that you have edited will remain intact (in theory). You then need to manually update those templates if the parent has any modifications since your own edits.

1 hour ago, mesteele101 said:

I find this happens when versions are skipped. As an example; You are on version 1 and update to version 3 skipping version 2.

Whatever it is, I suspect it's an issue in the IPS code. In the example above, the data which I have to provide for the update check was perfectly valid except it was showing 1.0.2 rather than 1.0.3. The fact @Robert Angle was already using 1.0.3 means that it was showing "Update Available" for something that is back in time which is obviously wrong!

22 hours ago, Tom Christian said:

Whatever it is, I suspect it's an issue in the IPS code. In the example above, the data which I have to provide for the update check was perfectly valid except it was showing 1.0.2 rather than 1.0.3. The fact @Robert Angle was already using 1.0.3 means that it was showing "Update Available" for something that is back in time which is obviously wrong!

I have Member Map installed. I was on beta version 1 and noticed the update availability. I skipped beta version 2 and installed beta version 3. Now the update notice continues to display when there is no update available. I haven't messed with anything yet to try and get rid of it.

2016-01-28_13-26-15.png.190fd7097b8fc2c1

I was able to remove the application and install. It's now fixed, but obviously for some applications/themes/plugins might be greatly effected by an uninstall.

8 minutes ago, mesteele101 said:

I have Member Map installed. I was on beta version 1 and noticed the update availability. I skipped beta version 2 and installed beta version 3. Now the update notice continues to display when there is no update available. I haven't messed with anything yet to try and get rid of it.

2016-01-28_13-26-15.png.190fd7097b8fc2c1

This issue was on our end, I accidentally set the version code to send back an abnormally high version number. Next upgrade will fix this.

Archived