How do you convert 3.x subscriptions to 4.x Nexus?

Dolfan23b

I have 4.0.13.1 installed and I've never had Nexus before as I always used the subscriptions add on. Converting to 4.x and that no longer works so I purchased Nexus and it's now (hopefully) installed correctly. However I still see "subscriptions" as an out-of-date app and none of my old subscriptions or anything has converted over to Nexus as I'd hoped. Can anyone point me in the right direction so that my old subscription packages and subscribers and history all get converted over? 

I could be wrong but I think 1.5.x of Nexus (the 3x version) would read and import them at installation time. Its been a long time so I'm not sure but I remember something about it. When it was an IPS app (subs) it used to try to import them if you installed Nexus iirc.

It may just be awol from the 4x version of Commerce (aka Nexus) currently. I would suggest a ticket in the Client Area to get a tech's thoughts on this as I'd be surprised if it was omitted...

I can't give much more info at the moment as I'm not on my usual machine so I don't have any test data or things to try it with, but I'm sure on 3x if subs was present and you installed Nexus it offered you a choice of what to do with the data at install time, ie to use it or lose it as such. I mean by this to 'convert' it to Nexus subscriptions. :)

A support tech will be able to update you on this I'm sure.

Thank you @AndyF for the responses. Unfortunately I already upgraded to 4.x not thinking that there wouldn't be a subscriptions plug-in like there was for 3.x. I'm not sure if a disabled subscriptions can be converted to Nexus on 4.x but I wasn't given an option to do so anywhere that I can find. 

The subs data should still be there though, unless some rows got overwritten by Commerce (Nexus) at 4x upgrade time but that seems unlikely. :)

Its best to think of it like having Blog on 3x but not having it on 4x, at 4x the blog data is still there but you cannot get at it until you install Blog for 4x, if that makes sense, it seems an easy way of putting it.

I'd go with a ticket to see what a tech has to say, as I put above I don't have any test data or bits here to see what really happens with the upgrade and / or what 3x Nexus (1.5.9) does at install with subs data otherwise I'd of tried to check for you. :)

Yeah it looks like everything is still there in the DB and even if it weren't I have a couple of backups with the data. Just gotta get it sorted out to get that data into Nexus. Much appreciated on the advice. Gonna start a ticket and see where it goes. I'll report back here after...

22 minutes ago, Dolfan23b said:

Yeah it looks like everything is still there in the DB and even if it weren't I have a couple of backups with the data. Just gotta get it sorted out to get that data into Nexus. Much appreciated on the advice. Gonna start a ticket and see where it goes. I'll report back here after...

You're welcome. :) Thanks for saying you'll post back as I'd be interested to hear the outcome. I've not looked at the code to see if it (should) already pickup the subs data or not I expect not but in that case you need some kind of 'updater' (that was in 1.5.9 iirc) to convert it from Subs to Nexus then Commerce should pick it up.

I guess if you were doing it again ( ! ) I'd say install Nexus when you're on 3.x then upgrade to 4x once it had sorted the data but I hope support can offer some input for you on this.

18 hours ago, AndyF said:

You're welcome. :) Thanks for saying you'll post back as I'd be interested to hear the outcome. I've not looked at the code to see if it (should) already pickup the subs data or not I expect not but in that case you need some kind of 'updater' (that was in 1.5.9 iirc) to convert it from Subs to Nexus then Commerce should pick it up.

I guess if you were doing it again ( ! ) I'd say install Nexus when you're on 3.x then upgrade to 4x once it had sorted the data but I hope support can offer some input for you on this.

Welp it looks like it's not possible. I guess this is a good lesson to learn in that you need to upgrade from Subscriptions to Nexus prior to upgrading from 3.x to 4.x. 

Hello,
Unfortunately Commerce will not convert subscriptions data.

Kind Regards,

Marc Stridgen
Invision Power Services, Inc

3 minutes ago, AndyF said:

That's a shame :(

I've reviewed the code now. It is present in 1.5.x , /admin/applications_addon/ips/nexus/modules_admin/convert/convert.php

I'll post a feedback topic about this. :)

Thanks Andy that would be great! 

I've also noticed that it appears there's supposed to be a Nexus theme folder under the "1" theme and I'm not seeing that on my install. Just some broken images in the admin and a pretty boring and basic looking store front with the few subscriptions I've tried setting up. Any idea how to solve that? My fear is that I'd have to uninstall Commerce and then re-upload the files again and attempt to re-install the product. 

You're welcome. :) Feedback topic link in my post above.

I'm not 100% sure on the styling concern. Go to the ACP > Support > Something is not working > Just follow it all the way through (let it rebuild caches etc) until you get to the stage where it wants you to submit a ticket (do not)

Then check to see if the styling issue is fixed or not. If you're using a custom theme check on the default too.

25 minutes ago, AndyF said:

You're welcome. :) Feedback topic link in my post above.

I'm not 100% sure on the styling concern. Go to the ACP > Support > Something is not working > Just follow it all the way through (let it rebuild caches etc) until you get to the stage where it wants you to submit a ticket (do not)

Then check to see if the styling issue is fixed or not. If you're using a custom theme check on the default too.

Yep I've tried that numerous times hoping that it would fix it but it hasn't. I didn't want to create a ticket on the styling issue without knowing if the bigger issue could be fixed 1st. 

My thought now is to install the latest 3.4.8 (with Commerce/Nexus) from here on my dev site (which has it's own license key) and then upload my last 3.4.8 DB (backed up just before upgrading to 4.x) and then convert subscriptions to Commerce/Nexus. From there upgrade the dev site to 4.0.13.1 and then figure out if I can just copy some tables over to the live site. Does that sound like it would work? 

26 minutes ago, Dolfan23b said:

Yep I've tried that numerous times hoping that it would fix it but it hasn't. I didn't want to create a ticket on the styling issue without knowing if the bigger issue could be fixed 1st. 

My thought now is to install the latest 3.4.8 (with Commerce/Nexus) from here on my dev site (which has it's own license key) and then upload my last 3.4.8 DB (backed up just before upgrading to 4.x) and then convert subscriptions to Commerce/Nexus. From there upgrade the dev site to 4.0.13.1 and then figure out if I can just copy some tables over to the live site. Does that sound like it would work? 

In theory it might but I'd not personally want to copy a database piecemeal as the tables are relational, you could open up a 'difficult to fix' can of worms with things that might not present issues straight away.

With the db its best as an 'all or nothing' thing really.

Has there been much data since you upgraded to 4X ?

I'd be tempted to try a subs to Nexus upgrade on your test site first to see how well it goes before considering a 'restore' of your live site (if that's practical)

4 minutes ago, AndyF said:

In theory it might but I'd not personally want to copy a database piecemeal as the tables are relational, you could open up a 'difficult to fix' can of worms with things that might not present issues straight away.

With the db its best as an 'all or nothing' thing really.

Has there been much data since you upgraded to 4X ?

I'd be tempted to try a subs to Nexus upgrade on your test site first to see how well it goes before considering a 'restore' of your live site (if that's practical)

Yessir there's been some data and a good bit of customization. I don't want to create a whole nother can of worms so I will avoid going that direction. I'd be more than happy to test out a subs to Nexus upgrade on the dev site. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan23b said:

Thanks Andy that would be great!

I've also noticed that it appears there's supposed to be a Nexus theme folder under the "1" theme and I'm not seeing that on my install. Just some broken images in the admin and a pretty boring and basic looking store front with the few subscriptions I've tried setting up. Any idea how to solve that? My fear is that I'd have to uninstall Commerce and then re-upload the files again and attempt to re-install the product.

A quick but tedious fix to this is copy the nexus folder from theme folder 1 to those with the missing folder. Then go into the ACP - Customization (No Designers Mode) -  Theme - (theme with missing Nexus folder - far right down arrow - Manage resources and start adding these images.

It may also be possible (I believe) to copy the Nexus folders as described above in Designers Mode. As long as the css files are pointing to the images properly.

2 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

A quick but tedious fix to this is copy the nexus folder from theme folder 1 to those with the missing folder. Then go into the ACP - Customization (No Designers Mode) -  Theme - (theme with missing Nexus folder - far right down arrow - Manage resources and start adding these images.

It may also be possible (I believe) to copy the Nexus folders as described above in Designers Mode. As long as the css files are pointing to the images properly.

That did the trick! Good thinking sir! 

9 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Don't call me Sir! I was a working man in the military... :tongue:  :lol:

But glad to be of help just the same... :rofl:

(Can you tell I hate Emoticons lately)

Hey same here... I was an 11p grunt @ 3rd Ranger Batt and Ft Bragg from 95-01. 

No hating on emoticons! I'm trying to get mine working after deleting the default group and that's a whole nother ball of wax. 

Ahh then you got to play with their newer junk...

I had 2 lines in the motor pool I was responsible for at Ft. Riley. Consisting of 1/4 tons, Deuce and 1/2's, 5 ton's, Howitzers, Gama Goats and Goars...  I had 3 good men under me I swear could read my mind. When we needed parts I didn't ask and neither did our motor officer.... Something to do with (Midnight Auto Supply)

• 2 weeks later...

In case this is any use to anyone....

The subscriptions plug-in data can be upgraded by Nexus, but only if using a version lower than v4 of IPB. Then, when you upgrade to v4, Nexus is upgraded to Commerce.

However, it doesn't work properly. Following the upgrade to v4 I'm getting lots of PayPal IPN (Instant Payment Notification) warnings, because those IPN's can no longer get a response from the URL that is within those IPN's.

I raised a ticket about this with support. Firstly their responses were like this was new to them, but as the convo progressed it became clear that IPB know about this problem and don't much care about it - even tho this damages the income streams of their customers. It's in a "might get looked at one day but probably won't" problems pile.

So if you go this route, expect a big hit on your subscriptions income.

Just an update on my post, in the interests of fairness.

Support have modified my set-up (I'm not sure how exactly) so that the IPN's now work OK, so everything is now good with the route I took (tho I have had a number of issues in the meantime with manually managing subscriptions and payments).

Archived