The page isn't redirecting properly

Joey_M

It seems the error page for false or missing URL's on my site isn't working correctly on my site, I basically get an error page (on all browsers).

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

I have the htaccess file downloaded from the 'Server Engine Optimization' and placed within the root of my IP.Suite, can anyone help me resolve it?

Did it start after you downloaded the htaccess file to the root?

TBH, I'm not sure. It's strange because another 4.0 site is fine but this one running the latest version appears to have issues.

Please show screen your SEO Friendly URLs page ACP  and  also containing your htaccess file.

Friendly URLS - All ticked

Here's the code within the htaccess file

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
Options -MultiViews
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule \.(js|css|jpeg|jpg|gif|png|ico)(\?|$) - [L,NC,R=404]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

All seems to be the same as the other site of mine currently running 4.0, bar the different versions. The one having trouble is all up-to-date though, which is weird?

I had a similar situation can't remember all that happened but for starters, I copy and pasted the info into my htaccess instead of using the one generated by IPB. I was getting some error, can't remember. Copy and pasting fixed that step (I got that fix from one of the topics here).

After making the urls SEO friendly, I was getting all kinds of warnings and found that something is redirecting urls to the old style (e.g /index.php/topic/ , /index.php?/topic/ , /index.php/forum/).

The fix (for now?) is a rewriterule in the htaccess to remove index.php:

# Htaccess Redirects old forum to new IPB 4 update

RewriteRule ^index.php/topic/(.*)$ /topic/$1 [R=301,NC,L]

RewriteRule ^index.php/forum/(.*)$ /forum/$1 [R=301,NC,L]

Next, Google Webmaster got mad at me and sent me warnings about the sitemap. It too was sending to the old url. The fix for that (today) was to decompress the xml.gz files (located in cache I think), find and replace "/index.php/" with "/", then compress it again and upload. For whatever reason, the sitemap that was generated on the 1st of this month, was not updated after I did the SEO friendly switch.

That's what happened with me, don't know if you have the same situation but just wanted to share and also hopefully get more info on my and your situation.

Archived