Link Section & Ads

CP

I know I have mentioned all this before but wanted to start my own topic on it. So far I like IPB4 and have no issues with it. The only complaints I get is that there is no link section (big deal for graphic download sites) and the ads do not show properly on IE and Firefox browsers. I know you guys work hard and try to fulfill clients wishes. I also understand that no one can make everyone happy. But for me, as a client, I really want to see these things worked on. Please bear with me, I am attempting to take a softer approach to these issues. :) 

I have a site that is running 3.4.8 with a link system I downloaded from a 3rd party. Works great no issues. However, I would like to see a link system supported by IPB for IPB4. I am willing (not sure about other clients) to pay for it. It is that big of a deal for the type of sites I run. 

As for ad displays, that has to change. In version 3.4.8 I am able to add ads on the main site and mobile view separately. However, I am not able to that on IPB4. So, I am forced to use responsive ads (Google) and they look good to me (using Safari browser) but not good with other browsers. Apparently, from the screenshots I have seen, they break the site up and stretch beyond the tables, blocks, sidebars, whatever you want to call it these days. Keep in mind I am just trying to point out what bugs me and trying to be soft about it. Why? Well, my earlier way of posting things seems to not matter. :)

So, my question is, is IPS willing to work on these issues? 

With IPS 4 There is already an ads and for bugs where they don't show properly I recommend posting a bug.

As for Links? I suggest building a custom Links database using Pages (IP.Content). It's robust customizable on your needs and skinnable on a per category basis if you are feeling frisky. In fact, for your viewing I can show you my custom links database if you like.

I certainly do not support that IPS make an app simply for this as their current suite really already allows for this.

With IPS 4 There is already an ads and for bugs where they don't show properly I recommend posting a bug.

As for Links? I suggest building a custom Links database using Pages (IP.Content). It's robust customizable on your needs and skinnable on a per category basis if you are feeling frisky. In fact, for your viewing I can show you my custom links database if you like.

I certainly do not support that IPS make an app simply for this as their current suite really already allows for this.

Perhaps I should know more after all this time running sites but don't know as much as I would like. I can do minor coding and such but a link section for me is pretty much out of the question. I do not care for IP.Content and do not understand how it works. I also do not have the time to create my own links system using IP.Content or any other means.

As for the ads, I suppose I can send a support ticket for it. However, if I do that and they fix it, with the next update it will be the same deal . It has to be fixed the way it should be on a update/upgrade. 

Anyway, I do think I will hear back from IPS on these things. 

No it won't, if they fix it then it should be fixed. If they find a bug, unless it's with your skin, there is no reason that it will "go back" to the way it was before unless there is another bug.

Honestly out of all of the time I've been with IPS if they fix a bug, unless something else breaks it, it stays fixed.

http://distant-fantasies.net/directory.html/

That's my links directory for my site that I created myself. It's slowly evolved as I've decided to make things, add things, change things and remove things and it's better than any other that I've seen out there TBF. If you don't like Pages than that's fine but I don't see an actual necessity to request for a feature where it's already a possibility. My recommendation would be to wait for the Links Directory author to upgrade their app.

You really did a good job on the link directory on your site. :)  ;) Nice job on that! In truth, I would be interested in it if you ever had the desire to release it to me. 

But, I have to disagree on the ads part. I once had a galley issue with every upgrade. Once fixed, when I upgraded I had the same issue that had to be fixed twice before it was actually fixed properly with a update/upgrade. 

EDIT: Your whole site looks nice. Do you code? 

Mine is particularly custom for my community but exclusively built in Pages so you'd have to have the app to use it. I may be able to come up with the base template and release it. It'll be a bit as the next few weeks are hectic for me but I'll see what I can do.

I do not care for IP.Content and do not understand how it works. I also do not have the time to create my own links system using IP.Content or any other means.

Setting up a links database with Pages is like downloading a links app and configuring that. Seriously. You don’t have to code anything. It offers exactly the functionality you ask for and it can be set up in minutes. 

In short:

• Set up a database. Call it “Links” or something like that. 
  • Configure it how you like: categories yes/no; record image (link screenshot); ratings, reviews, comments if you like. 
  • A title and body field are there by default. Add an URL field for your links and any other fields you might like.
  • Create a page in the page manager. Call it “Link directory” or whatever you like. 
  • Activate the page builder for that site.
  • Open the page builder for that site and add your database as widget to one of the main areas.

That’s it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived