Forum URL

Patrick Ramos

I have purchased and installed IPB 4.0 yesterday, it is awesome ;)

I am selfhosted. I have made an directory inside my domain on FTP. I called the directory "forum", when installing I have given the information "mydomain.de/forum". So everything worked. It installed, I am in full control of the board. In my client area it shows "mydomain.de/forum" as my licensed URL. Perfect.

But in my board, when I click on "calander" for example. I am getting this link: http://mydomain.de/forum/index.php?/calendar/

Why is there that "index.php?". How can I remove it? Is it because forum is the same URL name as "forum" from the board? I am confused. I hope you guys can help me, thank you :)

Awesome, that worked like a charm ;)

Now I only have another problem, since (as I have guessed before) I seem to have choosen the one and only stupid name for my forum ^^

I now have the structure "mydomain.de/forum/forum/topic) because I have labeled my forum "forum" ^^

So I would need to change that. What to I have to do, to change it? Change my licence URL, change the directory on the FTP? Can u help me ;) Thx!

Which IPS apps do you have and which one should your default app when entering the site?

​Well I only have Core and Board. Chat standard and calender standard.

So I have only the board, which is called "forum" right know. I also have my directory called "forum", so on the forums I have "domain.de/forum/forum". I dont think I can change the second name "forum" to somthing else, do I? So I guessed I would need to change my URL (the first forum in the URL)

EDIT: So my board should be the default one

You can move the whole site to the root. 
The the forum index page would be at yoursite.com/ and the apps like chat and calendar would get their respective URL slug yoursite.com/calendar, yoursite.com/chat

Otherwise, if you want to keep your physical folder to run your suite in, you either need to live with the double /forum/ or you can change one of them. Both is possible. For the second /forum/, you would do that in the ACP under Advanced Configuration. But you cannot remove it, just change it. 

Moving everything to the root is probably the better choice, unless you run many other things on that site. 

The root is not possible, as we have our magazine running there in wordpress. So I have to put it into an directory (subdomain). I want to call the directory differently, but I dont know if that is possible.

You said I could change the "second" forum, so the one referring to my board and not to my suite as a whole. I have looked into ACP advanced settings and thats the one with the friendly URLs, and have found the setting. Thanks for that tip! :) 

But I dont want to change the second one, I want to change the first one. It is now "forum" and I want it to be "elforo". I guessed I have to change the directory name on my FTP. I just thought it would mean, that I also have to change der licensed URL? Can I just change the directory name, to change the first one?

As I said before, it is not an option to put everything to the root. So I just need to change the name of the first "forum" on (mydomain.de/forum[suitedirectory]/forum[friendlyURL of the board]) ;) 

So maybe we can focus on that. Thanks so much guys for your help, I really appreciate it, and I have a feeling, that we are getting there.

Cheers

But I dont want to change the second one, I want to change the first one. It is now "forum" and I want it to be "elforo". I guessed I have to change the directory name on my FTP. I just thought it would mean, that I also have to change der licensed URL? Can I just change the directory name, to change the first one?

​You have to 1.) change the directory name (via FTP), 2.) the settings of your installation (so they point to the right folder) and 3.) your licence URL. (Note that there is a limit on how many times you can change it in a certain time or it will cost you an extra fee.)

​You have to 1.) change the directory name (via FTP), 2.) the settings of your installation (so they point to the right folder) and 3.) your licence URL. (Note that there is a limit on how many times you can change it in a certain time or it will cost you an extra fee.)

​Okay, thank you. So Where do I have to change step 2? :) Step 1 and 3 I can handle :thumbsup:

Archived