Custom forum icon

Vikestart

Being able to upload a custom forum icon is great :)

However, I really think it would be much better if we could also have the option to choose from the full list of FontAwesome icons, potentially removing the need for an image based icon in many situations.

This can be done with one line in custom.css (15 is the forum id and \f085 is the unicode value of the icon.

.ipsDataItem[data-forumid='15'] .fa-comments:before{ content: "\f085" }

​Thanks, I'll know how to do this, but not everyone knows their way around CSS.

Should be a setting in the UI in my opinion, also for easier usage, considering custom forum icons is already a setting, but missing the option for FontAwesome icons :)

Can edit the template with the font-awesome class name.

​I don't want to edit the template for this. I want to avoid marking any template files as modified, so I don't miss out on updates. All theme modifications have been done in custom.css.

Nah, I got it working with this:

.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsItemStatus.ipsItemStatus_large { background:#2E3A44;color:#5D7686;border-radius:100%; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem .fa-comments { position:relative;top:1px;left:2px; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem:not([data-forumid='15']) .fa-comments:before { content: "\f07c"; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem .ipsItemStatus.ipsItemStatus_large.ipsItemStatus_read { background:#2D2D2D;color:#888;border-radius:100%; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem .ipsItemStatus.ipsItemStatus_large.ipsItemStatus_read .fa-comments { left:1px; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem:not([data-forumid='15']) .ipsItemStatus.ipsItemStatus_large.ipsItemStatus_read .fa-comments:before { content: "\f07b"; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem[data-forumid='15'] .ipsItemStatus .fa-comments { left:1px !important; }
.ipsApp_front .cForumList .ipsDataItem[data-forumid='15'] .ipsItemStatus .fa-comments:before { content: "\f023"; }

But I still think this would be great as a per-forum setting, since the custom forum icon feature is already there in a lesser form :) Encouraging the use of FontAwesome over image based icons would be advantageous, also for the sake of consistency. It feels weird shoving an image based icon into an otherwise completely FontAwesome based suite, and every custom icon produces an unncessary HTTP request. :P

Archived