IPS Rules Application

6 hours ago, Wonko12 said:

Would it be possible to create weekly newsletter using rules?  just need to let people know what the top topics from the week has been.

I have been tinkering but not really made any progress on this so far, any pointers or better yet a complete set of rules:thumbsup:

Bulk emailing on a regular basis is not really an application for rules. I suppose you could probably work it out, but its the wrong tool for the job.

10 minutes ago, FGN said:

Can you tell me what to to put there to make 100 points = $1 @Kevin Carwile 

or anyone that is using this as a payment option  

I think it's 100.

But not absolutely sure.

We definitely need a RULES & POINTS CLUB! I wouldn't mind, if @Kevin Carwile would ask IPS to be allowed to create one here or alternatively on his own website.

Who is interested in a club? We could collect ideas, what rules to realize and how to implement them. We could exchange our knowledge. We could profit from each other and solve problems together. I would be very interested to realize an advanced points & rules project!

Yes i don't understand how to make rules, and i know its easy for most..but plz help a brotha out. I am using the Lite Version of Rules, and i have 7 rules left

I have a custom member package that can be bought out of the store

Can someone be kind enough to explain to me how to make these 2 rules, from start to finish, so i won't mess up

1. I want the member who bought the custom package to be able to earn double points(points economy)

2. I want the same member to be able to earn double commission 

7 hours ago, Cyboman said:

We definitely need a RULES & POINTS CLUB! I wouldn't mind, if @Kevin Carwile would ask IPS to be allowed to create one here or alternatively on his own website.

Who is interested in a club? We could collect ideas, what rules to realize and how to implement them. We could exchange our knowledge. We could profit from each other and solve problems together. I would be very interested to realize an advanced points & rules project!

Count me in for a club here. Kevin's website already has a lot of areas to discuss, but not much movement there. I think with a club here there will be much larger exposure and more customers will be attracted, which in the end will benefit everyone. 

Yes i don't understand how to make rules, and i know it's easy for most..but plz can ANYONE help me out. I am using the Lite Version of Rules, and i have 6 rules left (i know support is given to the paid part of this, this is why i'm asking if anyone can help)

I have a custom member package that can be bought out of the store, and a group that is made from the said package

Can someone be kind enough to explain to me how to make this rule, from start to finish, so i won't mess up

1. I want the member who bought the custom package or group to be able to earn double points(points economy)

This a double post....but i have edited it as i found out the answer to second part on first post 

9 hours ago, FGN said:

Yes i don't understand how to make rules, and i know it's easy for most..but plz can ANYONE help me out. I am using the Lite Version of Rules, and i have 6 rules left (i know support is given to the paid part of this, this is why i'm asking if anyone can help)

I have a custom member package that can be bought out of the store, and a group that is made from the said package

Can someone be kind enough to explain to me how to make this rule, from start to finish, so i won't mess up

1. I want the member who bought the custom package or group to be able to earn double points(points economy)

This a double post....but i have edited it as i found out the answer to second part on first post 

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You have various rules that give members points - like 1 point per new topic, 1 point per reply, etc. You want the same rules to give double points to member of a certain member group - 2 points per topic, 2 points per reply, etc. Is that correct?

Yes that's right........i don't want this to recognize the commerce part......i want the rule to recognize the member group, which is called Exclusive......

So the rule recognizes that group has made a post, and doubles the points

I can't thank you enough for trying to help me!!

25 minutes ago, FGN said:

Yes that's right........i don't want this to recognize the commerce part......i want the rule to recognize the member group, which is called Exclusive......

So the rule recognizes that group has made a post, and doubles the points

I can't thank you enough for trying to help me!!

The trick here is to work with the "conditions" part of the rule setup and create two actions - one when condition is satisfied and one when it is not. So basically you will have something like this:

Event: A topic is created

Condition: A member is in certain member group (Exclusive in your case)

Rule Action: Credit or debit a point balance, Credit only: 2 points to the topic author. 
Else Action: Credit or debit a point balance, Credit only: 1 point to topic author

This way if a member is part of exclusive group he will get two points per created topic, everyone else will get one point. I haven't tried it myself, but it should work. Let me know if something is not clear and I will provide step by step instructions. 

1 hour ago, jair101 said:

The trick here is to work with the "conditions" part of the rule setup and create two actions - one when condition is satisfied and one when it is not. So basically you will have something like this:

Event: A topic is created

Condition: A member is in certain member group (Exclusive in your case)

Rule Action: Credit or debit a point balance, Credit only: 2 points to the topic author. 
Else Action: Credit or debit a point balance, Credit only: 1 point to topic author

This way if a member is part of exclusive group he will get two points per created topic, everyone else will get one point. I haven't tried it myself, but it should work. Let me know if something is not clear and I will provide step by step instructions. 

Ok, I am working on this now, will let you know

And a big thx again

4 minutes ago, FGN said:

ok, @jair101 

So i have set it up, and it seems that its giving the double points...but also extra..like a total of 6 points

I started with 827..made the post, then it gave me 6 points, 833 final total

is it because i have all these other rules made also

here's the screenshot of my other rules

image.thumb.png.ff915c73ef63d1a826823c5e45e6768c.png

Yes, you should have only one rule giving points for certain events, they are not cancelling each other and all of them are effective. Disable all others and try just this one to see if it works fine. Just from the titles I have no idea how your actions are setup. 

ok gotcha,

all those above rules are just regular ones

Like give one point for status update, one point for forum topic, one point for forum reply

I am trying your response first

But do you think i need to re make all the above rules, and make them like this one you are teaching me?

I am still not sure what your overall goal is. If you want to give one point for each type of content and two points for exclusive, then yeah, you can remove most of the rules and just leave one that has "any content is created". Keep in mind that topics and posts can be counted twice, i.e., when you create a topic, thats also a new post. 

Just now, jair101 said:

I am still not sure what your overall goal is. If you want to give one point for each type of content and two points for exclusive, then yeah, you can remove most of the rules and just leave one that has "any content is created". Keep in mind that topics and posts can be counted twice, i.e., when you create a topic, thats also a new post. 

That's exactly what i want to do, make the overall rule that regular groups get one point for anything posted/created

and 2 points for Exclusive

You are awesome!! im dumb, lol

i should have known that

So now that you told me that last part....i make one rule the way you said to make, but put for any content..right?:unsure:

ok, now after making one rule only and deleting all the rest

I made a new rule with the rule of any content made

and made the rule/actions/else just like you said,

But now it cuts it 4 points..not 6

i had 833, now i have 837

and tips on how to work this out?

or should i just make the group exclusive get 4?

9 hours ago, FGN said:

ok, now after making one rule only and deleting all the rest

I made a new rule with the rule of any content made

and made the rule/actions/else just like you said,

But now it cuts it 4 points..not 6

i had 833, now i have 837

and tips on how to work this out?

or should i just make the group exclusive get 4?

This probably comes from the fact I mentioned earlier - that a new topic is also a new post so the rule is triggered twice when a new topic is post. In this case, your regular users will get 2 points and exclusive will get 4. Please try if you post just a reply if it will give you 2 points as expected. You can also check the contents of the debug log, I see that you have it enabled. 

To get around this, you can exclude Topics from the rule - Add another condition that is "Content is of certain type" and click the NOT button. On the next screen select Forums / Topic (Content Item). This way it should ignore new topics, but give points for the posts...which are also the topics, so you should be set! Haven't tried it in practice, but give it a try. Playing with this app is half the fun. 

Now that I think of it, this will probably conflict with the action that is triggered when conditions are not satisfied...I can't think of a way to get around this right now. Maybe in the end you will have to create a different rule for each content type...