First Impressions - IPS 4 Suite (extensive)

esquire

There's no real difference as far as Google is concerned. Google will look at both 403 and 404 and first consider it to be temporary and check back within 24 hours. If it's still the same status code, it will be removed. We could accomplish immediate removal on crawling by setting a 410 which tells Google, "nope - not an accident, it's really gone and we meant to do that" - but if you're an admin that's toying with permissions when Google happens to hit your site, you wouldn't appreciate that. 

Lindy - thank you as well for such a quick reply and response here. From my knowledge, Google does not mark pages responding with a 404 for removal from the index if the server is still responding with a 404 status code for the same URL 24 hours later, even assuming Google does a recrawl and hits the same URL. It takes a lot longer than that.

Regarding the 403 vs 404, here's one topic from Google's Webmaster Central Forum that is worth a look. The status codes imply different things and even if treated one way now, it's possible it may be treated a little differently later. A thought.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Thanks - but we can't confirm based upon your server setup. 

Should - but it isn't. I tested this on my site - I get a 403 response / status code and some cryptic error code. Might also want to take a look at the other Topic created about SEO and the Pages module. Not as critical as this stuff but also important, IMHO.

I'm a bit lost, http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/491-ips-community-suite-40/ is sending a 404 as far as I can see:

Screen_Shot_2015-03-11_at_09.40.26.thumb

Are you seeing an issue on your site or here? The suite should be sending 404 or 403 correctly - if you think something's not right, please open a bug report or submit a support request and we'll be sure to fix it :) 

​Seems you just type or paste the URL:

​See the above. Button not in toolbar and poorly named, also a multistep process that could be just click, select, done.

I'm a bit lost, http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/491-ips-community-suite-40/ is sending a 404 as far as I can see:

Are you seeing an issue on your site or here? The suite should be sending 404 or 403 correctly - if you think something's not right, please open a bug report or submit a support request and we'll be sure to fix it :) 

​Try a non-existent topic URL instead of a forum URL.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to check back on the 301-303 issue. I have a forum with a few topics with a lot of backlinks that change title once every so often. I don't know how Google interprets 303's, but I really wouldn't want to lose all those links because of a bad redirect code. The page moved to the new url permanently, so 301 is the logical status code. 

Archived