Exporting forum topics as RSS in ipboard 4

bonesoul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/18/2016 at 2:20 PM, loccom said:

since the latest update the RSS feed feature dissapeared

How to enable it in v4.1.13.2?

On 5/6/2016 at 4:20 PM, Sheffielder said:

Is anyone looking at an RSS Export option like the 3.X version of the software?

Yes, I need. I want to show a specific topic (its posts) in a WP page. How to achieve that?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
14 hours ago, djpretzel said:

Necro-bumping this - the RSS feed should absolutely include the author, no reason not to, by default.

Except that there is no RSS XML element designed to reflect this information. The <author> element must include the author's email address, which isn't information the community should be exposing.

https://cyber.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html#hrelementsOfLtitemgt

Thus, to do this, we'd have to create and include an RSS extension (not impossible, I've done it before on a custom basis, but it's not as straightforward as just throwing the author information into the existing feed either).

@bfarber Thanks for the explanation; it makes sense, even if it's the result of lack of foresight on the design of the RSS spec itself.

Atom feeds seem to handle this much better, with multiple author elements and name specified independently.

Rather than hack/deviate from RSS, perhaps also supporting Atom would be possible?

In a list of forum threads, who wrote the thread is often an important differentiator, and it'd be great to see this supported OOTB by IPS.

The thing (with RSS at least) is....even if we did include the value by defining a new namespace, the consumer (i.e. whatever you import the feed into) isn't likely going to show the author data because it would be defined in a non-standard element. Sort of a lose-lose situation, unless this is for a specific custom purpose.

ATOM does open up more options in that regard, yes.

Archived