PageSpeed Service (PSS) quote issues

Hi guys,

Does anyone here uses pagespeed service and are having issues with quoting posts?

Did you find any way to solve that?

I've seen multiple IPB websites with this common issue. I had to completely disable PSS via DNS records.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Aussie,

Thanks for the feedback.

You probably need to wait a while for the DNS changes to propagate through the internet, and after that you'll start to see the optimizations you've configured on PSS.

The problem I have is when PSS is active and I quote something on the forums there is a bit of the source code that is copied to the Editor. If I disable PSS, the forums work normally.

DNS propagation has been confirmed and active for PSS. I have blurred my domain, for privacy reasons.

12997043534_559846f64b_o.png' alt='' cla" alt="12997043534_559846f64b_o.png">

I can also show that the optimization has improved my GTmetrix rating, here is the orig:

12997068534_2273d26001_o.png' alt='' cla" alt="12997068534_2273d26001_o.png">

And with PSS optimizations:

12996683965_6e92e779af_o.png' alt='' cla" alt="12996683965_6e92e779af_o.png">

Still waiting on Webpage Test results, and will post comparisons when they are ready.

Have no issue with quoting at all.

Yeah I am not too sure about this result, but to me, according to the following graph, my own optimizations, are better than the PSS optimizations:

12996954375_4c83713540_o.png

I will mull over the results after I have 48 hours of data and post my findings.

Still no issue's with quoting.

depends on your test location too, try testing at locations further away from your server origin location

depends on your test location too, try testing at locations further away from your server origin location

Yeah that turned out to be a huge laugh.

Apparently, their graphs make it look like their optimizations are much better than mine, regardless of what stats I have.

So in looking at the graphs, my first graph (the one above) showed that my load time (fully loaded) was around 1.6 seconds, the latest shows that apparently my load time without their optimizations loads in 4.5 seconds (but WebPage Test shows 1.1 seconds), where their optimizations load in around 3.1 seconds (but WebPage Test shows 9.3 seconds).

First graph:

13026737434_9189055ec4_o.png

After about 36 hours:

13026765504_d169755d3a_o.png

This would make the site load around 3 odd seconds slower, than before enabling PSS. Wow did I have a brain hemorrhage, or is this just not right?

Speed test before enabling PSS - shows around 1.1 seconds to load on first view:

NOTE: Domain blurred out due to privacy reasons

13026962684_0ee55cee1c_o.png' alt='' cla" alt="13026962684_0ee55cee1c_o.png">

Enable the PSS service, shows a load time of around 9.3 seconds on first view:

13026741133_0a8962b112_o.png

Conclusion:

Don't use the PSS service unless you want to slow down your site, I would prefer to pay a CDN to serve static images and JS/CSS instead, as it clearly shows (in my case) a faster load time, regardless of JS/CSS optimizations. Which is better for your members.

I call BS on PSS.

By the way MickPT, I did not see any issue's with quoting with the service what so ever, I am running the latest IP Board (3.4.6) with the latest patches.

I did not see any issue's with quoting with the service what so ever, I am running the latest IP Board (3.4.6) with the latest patches.

Thanks.

What's strange is that I've found through google search multiple sites with this issue...

I'll have to check if it's an app/hook/outdated version (I'm still on 3.4.4) that is causing my issues.

What's strange is that I've found through google search multiple sites with this issue...

I'll have to check if it's an app/hook/outdated version (I'm still on 3.4.4) that is causing my issues.

It must have something to do with either the way PSS parses your JS/CSS or added code/hooks/apps, maybe try it without minify, if that does not work, enable minify, disable something else.

You could also try disabling all your hooks and apps, then enabling them one by one to see if you can find a corresponding issue with a 3rd party addon/app/hook.

I would selectively go through all re-writers and disable one by one until you find the culprit (the JS/CSS one's first). I did get an email from them once I removed the CNAME record, and they wanted my input, so maybe I could also mention to them when they do contact me for feedback that some people are having issue's with the quoting system in IPB.

But for me, I did not find any issue's with the quoting (or editor) system while PSS was enabled.

You see random Javascript gibberish when you try and quote someone, yes?

I posted a fix for this and explained the issue in this thread, though this is for the PageSpeed Module and not the actual PageSpeed service, it's the same thing.

You need to block PageSpeed from running on this page,

http://yoursite.com/*do=quote*

Archived