Testing IPS4 on hosted plans

Hexsplosions

Hello,

I can't see this has been asked anywhere (so apologies if it has been).

I've got a self hosted licence which has expired as I moved to a hosted service instead. On the self hosted licence I would have been able to install a duplicate "test" version of my forum and tested the upgrade procedure first and be able to verify I am happy, before upgrading my actual forum. On the hosted service I believe I don't have the ability to install a duplicate "test" copy, meaning I can't perform the same test and validation.

Is this correct? If so, what can I do to ensure I am happy with upgrading to IPS4 before actually doing so? (a demo would not work as I specifically need to test this against my own data)

If I'm wrong then please let me know.

Thanks

:)

Yes you are correct, hosted plans do not include a test/dev version.

When you are ready to upgrade, and if you are not sure about it, run a quick backup (full backup) or download one of ours. If you are not happy, we can do a restore for you! :)

You won't be restoring though I'm pretty sure! ;)

Hi Rhett,

It's not so much about whether I move to version 4 because I most certainly am, it looks brilliant, but simply that I have to demonstrate the software is ready to a number of individuals and get their agreement to do the upgrade. I need to be able to demonstrate to them that the upgrade process is painless without actually upgrading the main board.

Since it's a club I'm not really able to just upgrade on my own initiative.

That's the main reason for asking.

You have a few options

1) In your specific case, you could of course renew your self hosted license at that time so you have full access to download 4.0 and do what you like with it (including setting up a second site if you chose, but at least you can set up a test install).

2) You can simply use the demo system, which will be upgraded to 4.0 upon release.

Archived