Smart Image Handling for Attachments

sobrenome

I have notice in my site that users upload images near 2 MB in size that cannot be optimized by smush.it hook.

Woulld be nice if the 4.0 IPS could handle images better.

It could give the administrator the option to choose to create different images in different sizes of uploaded images and in a very optimized bytes size.

Some images that users upload with almostt 2 MB could have less than 200 KByte! Even with the same size in pixels!

The core should be able to create a new optimized image based on the image uploaded by the user, as long as smush.it cannot optimize such images.

I don't disagree, but I'm trying to get a better idea of what you are suggesting exactly. If you are using a smush.it plugin to optimize images and it can't work with those images, what tool are you suggesting the core software use to optimize the images exactly? We can use GD, if you are suggesting we do that (although this will generally mean a loss in quality, if you are to gain any optimization in size).

For exemple, the user uploads a very large PNG image that smush.it cannot optimize, but the system could take advantage of a server's graphic software to make from that uploaded PNG a JPG much smaller in size and still very good in quality.

Just like I had to manually do using the Export Wizard function of Adobe Fireworks.

It would be perfect if the core allowed the administrator of the community to choose this kind of feature to optimize the images.

Usually the user uploads a very large file because he does not have any ideia about optimization, not because of quality concern.

Apart from the clunky way image attachments are done (i.e. by clicking on "More Reply Options / using the full editor) there's a couple of problems:

Maximum file size is global i.e. all attachments have the same maximum file size. While I would like to have 2mb to allow zip files and similar as attachments I only want a maximum of say 512kb for image attachments. Attaching images should be handled seperately from regular attachments.

Then should a member upload an image that's either too high resolution and or the file size is too large it needs reducing. I'm not too bothered if there's some loss in image quality.

I find it unlikely that we will allow the administrator to somehow integrate Adobe Fireworks or similar to import images (behind the scenes on the backend, using command-line level commands) and export to reduce filesize.

Why is an image "too high resolution"? Or the file size "too large"? 512kb seems a pretty arbitrary number to me?

Why is an image "too high resolution"? Or the file size "too large"? 512kb seems a pretty arbitrary number to me?

There needs to be some limit otherwise people with 13mb phone cameras could upload massive files or rather than uploading a modest sized jpeg file they upload a png version instead and these are usually much larger in file size. I am regularly telling a member via pm that the image attachment they uploaded was far too big.

Image size has always been a confusing issue with IPB. I would like a simplistic way of setting maximum image sizes per members group by file size. This combined with the ability for members to upload any size images and the images will be automatically reduced to the maximum limit. I know this is just about currently achievable but it is not straightforward to set up and the size reduction is rather random.

Archived