IPS revoking licenses conspiracy... (not true)

_Mac

@Lindy
Thank's for making this "revoking issue" very clear, stating your current policy and dismissing any "conspiracy" threat against free speech!
At first I got really worried when reading this negative thread against IPS, but when reading your answer I understood the situation, and why you (IPS) acted as you did. We would have done the same btw in a similar situation. We consider ourselves "good admin guys" and want to promote free speech etc.
You answer really influenced my decision to come back to IPS from vB :-)
P.s. @Wolfie
Are you aware that your signature "vote for best forum software" links indirectly (when reading the IP.Board review) to the thread above and it's comments above?

I think this belongs more in the feedback forum than presales...

At first I got really worried when reading this negative thread against IPS, but when reading your answer I understood the situation, and why you (IPS) acted as you did. We would have done the same btw in a similar situation. We consider ourselves "good admin guys" and want to promote free speech etc.

You answer really influenced my decision to come back to IPS from vB :-)
I've seen Lindy take a disgruntled topic and do his best to address the issues that were being listed. IPS will do its best to take care of its clients, but won't be a doormat. It's rather common sense if you think about it.

P.s. @Wolfie

Are you aware that your signature "vote for best forum software" links indirectly (when reading the IP.Board review) to the thread above and it's comments above?

Considering it's on the same site, it would make sense. :)

Yes, there will always be "good" and "bad" clients, no matter what profession you're in. You did come to IPS defense in the thread's comments though...

I'm a supporter of IPS and the software. To go into it again (broken record time)...

I had started out using ikonBoard because it had features I felt were important. One that I remember looking for was being able to have forums within forums (forums/subforums/subsubforums/etc). After some time, it seemed that development/new features/mods were at a crawl. That and response time was slow (I think cgi is slower than php, but that might just be my opinion), so I started looking for PHP based software. Of those that I could find, very very few offered some of the features I was looking for and IPB was the best fit, so I switched to it. Much faster, better design, etc. Didn't find out until later on that Matt was a developer on ikonBoard before making IP.Board. So finding software by the same developer based on quality rather than name really says something. Quality and importance on security. I think another feature I felt was important was that passwords be encrypted vs stored in plain text. Yeah who wouldn't be curious about someone else's password, but I value a members privacy and felt it important that the security of the password be more important than an admins curiosity.

So yeah, I speak up for IPS when I can. It's how i feel.

Didn't find out until later on that Matt was a developer on ikonBoard before making IP.Board.

You seem to have a nack for this! Much like good art gallerie owners know there artists ;-)

I do also, value my users integrity (freedom of speech etc) and security - VERY highly. It's great to hear your feedback on mine and others threads since you seem to have a lot of discussionforum software experince AND over a decade with IPS and you're still using it. Says a lot about IPS. Thank's.

• Management

Thanks Mac. Unfortunately, people love sensationalist headlines and rarely care enough to listen objectively to both sides of the story. The internet makes it very easy to seed, at best, exaggerations.

We've been producing community software for a very long time and we've been successful because we're a very transparent company producing software that our customers enjoy. It's quite simple. We have a very good culture internally at IPS and we have a great team full of really great people. They face countless challenges daily and always rise to the occasion so it does sadden me when I see nonsense like that posted just to attract page views.

If you ever do have concerns, or you've read anything that you're not sure about the easiest thing to do is come and speak to us. We're all here every day on the forums, in tickets and on our email.

But i do agree what they say:
"IPB does not encourage free speech. If your opinion is strongly worded enough or brings to light issues that the company would prefer not to be public"

I told my opinions before, here and on a ticket, but it seems that when peoples tell what they think, it gets deleted right away and you get a Waring no reason.
i think that's sad, you need to handle constructive criticism a bit better than you do.

But over all.. IPS/IPB are forever in use on my side :))

Deleted? I've seen many rude and offensive posts that still exist here. I haven't seen any posts disappearing, I just haven't come across them (reading something and the next moment it's not there anymore).

I have, but it's not something like, "I am very displeased with your service." type posts. It's more of a disrespectful profanity filled rant that is being done for no other reason than to cause trouble. Like I said in an above post, I've seen disgruntled posts that seemed heated but were actually legitimate and IPS staff hopped on it and worked to resolve the issue as best as could be done. I don't remember specifics, but I do recall one topic where you would think it would get closed but instead, it was left open, with staff responding to it to try to make things right with the client.

I think it comes down to this.. If it's obvious the person is just trying to be a troll, instead of having a legitimate concern, then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets swept away. But I can't think of any business that would tolerate that. It's like if a gang sprays horrible graffiti on the side of your house and then letting it stay there instead of cleaning it up.

The times that I've seen it happen over the years... I think I can count on one hand. And that's about 4 or 5 years that I'm talking about. We're talking extreme cases here, not just someone being upset and speaking out about it.

Edit:

Here are a few topics that I vaguely recall where someone was upset, expressed it (not in an inappropriate manner) and were treated with respect.

LOL @ Reviews on that site.

It's like the moment something bad happened to them, they unleashed all the wrath they can muster ... regardless of how much good that has happened before that.

But what can you expect? That site is built for people who A) Never had a forum and B) Just left a forum software. Only haters live there.

I don't get the poor ratings on support, I've files quite a bit of tickets of the years, all resolved. My most recent one which was the longest due to some weird problems caused by old changes to directories years ago. But Level I support tried to help to the best of their ability, when they could do no more it was brought to level II support where it was resolved. All my tickets have been answered within a day.

And as you would expect, all the 'bad support' reviews never have any evidence to back their claims.

Archived