Website is slow... What would you suggest ?

Hi everyone !

Actually, I'm the owner of a French website named Manga Destiny (http://www.mangadestiny.com/ for the welcome page or http://www.mangadestiny.com/index.php?app=forums for forum index) and, regarding Alexa's traffic analytics, it is very slow (says 88% of site are faster, and that page load is now 3.621 Seconds).

So... I was wondering what to do. Is it due to the fact we have a great database, with lots of stuff ? Or may it be because of my shared hosting plan (Baby plan, hosted by HostGator) ?

How may I speed up my website ?

Many thanks to all of you ! :D

@Sonya : Do you think in can be due only to the size of the image ? :/

Yes. I have opened your page and the first time it took a lot time to load. When the image is cached in browser it does not take so long. But search engines do not have browser cache. They load your site always the way it is loaded for the user who visits your site first time.

You can set skin per search engine (user agent) technically... So, alexa/google/etc get the crappy archive skin that has virtually no image downloading. :tongue:

I strongly suggest not doing so.

Search Engines prefer to see the actual webpage the visitor is visiting the site. Otherwise it is recalled as cloaking.

Hi everyone !

Actually, I'm the owner of a French website named Manga Destiny (http://www.mangadestiny.com/ for the welcome page or http://www.mangadestiny.com/index.php?app=forums for forum index) and, regarding Alexa's traffic analytics, it is very slow (says 88% of site are faster, and that page load is now 3.621 Seconds).

So... I was wondering what to do. Is it due to the fact we have a great database, with lots of stuff ? Or may it be because of my shared hosting plan (Baby plan, hosted by HostGator) ?

How may I speed up my website ?

Many thanks to all of you ! :D

run your site through webpagetest.org and gtmetrix.com and follow recommendations outlined from respective sites

I strongly suggest not doing so.

Search Engines prefer to see the actual webpage the visitor is visiting the site. Otherwise it is recalled as cloaking.

Yes, that is true. Cloaking is bad.

Though, got me wondering what google's policies are when it comes to sites with simply multiple skins since that is what it essentially is. Not stuff google says "no" about directly.

Yes, that is true. Cloaking is bad.

Though, got me wondering what google's policies are when it comes to sites with simply multiple skins since that is what it essentially is. Not stuff google says "no" about directly.

Their policies are very clean :

You can't show different things to actual visitors and display another thing to bots.

Their policies are very clean :

You can't show different things to actual visitors and display another thing to bots.

There are a lot of settings in IPS that deal with "do not show to guests". E. g. signatures, boards, pages, blogs. galleries, topic marking, background chooser, guests messages and so on. The entire IPS seems to be designed for cloaking? Different skins. Mobile skins. GEO targeting for ads and so on. If these features were cloaking not one IPS community would be present in search index.

There are a lot of settings in IPS that deal with "do not show to guests". E. g. signatures, boards, pages, blogs. galleries, topic marking, background chooser, guests messages and so on. The entire IPS seems to be designed for cloaking? Different skins. Mobile skins. GEO targeting for ads and so on. If these features were cloaking not one IPS community would be present in search index.

Do you really read then respond or are you responding just for responding ?

but guests ARE seeing the same thing the bots see (if bots use guest group) so not an issue. in this case visitor and guest are same thing.

@Dmacleo, I see. I thought he asks about a special skin for his users, not all visitors. And you are right: guests are the same as search bots. My logical failure :D

@Sjv, just wonder every time who rude some people in this community are. Ignore list is the only possibility to have a normal conversion here. Never made this experience in other communities. Welcome to my ignore list!

Google outlines several exceptions to what is NOT cloaking. That includes serving different content based on geolocation, mobile, etc.

What it's unclear about -- by never mentioning it, is themes. Tons of sites have multiple themes, and in case of vbulletin, it carries lite options for search engines and, again, tons of huge sites do this.

Here's the question I posted on stack exchange if anyone wants to see outside answers on it. http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/43686/is-offering-google-bot-a-lite-version-of-site-skin-considered-cloaking

PS. Sorry for derailing this topic. Though, I think you got your answer already from the 1st reply.

Google outlines several exceptions to what is NOT cloaking. That includes serving different content based on geolocation, mobile, etc.

What it's unclear about -- by never mentioning it, is themes. Tons of sites have multiple themes, and in case of vbulletin, it carries lite options for search engines and, again, tons of huge sites do this.

Here's the question I posted on stack exchange if anyone wants to see outside answers on it. http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/43686/is-offering-google-bot-a-lite-version-of-site-skin-considered-cloaking

PS. Sorry for derailing this topic. Though, I think you got your answer already from the 1st reply.

Having multiple themes is perfectly correct , unless if you customise one theme for Search Bot specific. If you do that and actual visitors see a different default style , that is recalled cloaking as you are customising your style according to Search Bots.

Archived