Calendar Roadmap

BN_IT_Support

Would the existing comments feature not provide the same general capabilities? You can comment and discuss the event (or whatever is being added to the calendar - gaming "raid", holiday, etc.) right on the same page as the event, rather than fracturing some discussion to the forums and the rest of the information (and potential discussion, if you leave commenting enabled) on the calendar?

Just curious - trying to determine what benefit the forum synchronization would provide over commenting in this case.

I agree with that. I suppose the only benefit would be more visible on forum index.

Would the existing comments feature not provide the same general capabilities? You can comment and discuss the event (or whatever is being added to the calendar - gaming "raid", holiday, etc.) right on the same page as the event, rather than fracturing some discussion to the forums and the rest of the information (and potential discussion, if you leave commenting enabled) on the calendar?

Just curious - trying to determine what benefit the forum synchronization would provide over commenting in this case.

I can only guess, but yes, that could work very well. As I've mentioned before, I don't currently have an IPS installation and the only IPS forum I use regularly, as a member, is this one. At least for several months before and after this one, this site only has birthdays on its calendar, so I didn't know about a comment feature. So, I don't know its capabilities, but now that you mentioned it (and from the clue I got in the latest blog post), I'm looking forward to learning more about all the IP.Calendar 4 features in future blog posts.

My hopes for that include the calendar being developed with SEO in mind, that upcoming events can be listed, for instance, in a sidebar module (not a tiny calendar, but a configurable list of event titles) and that, when a member or visitor clicks that View New Content button at the top of a page, new calendar events (and old events with new comments) are included on the page with all other new content.

So yes, I could be satisfied with calendar event commenting. That's more than what I have now and I wouldn't necessarily stop my members from creating forum topics about calendar events, as they always have. I imagine they would gradually get used to commenting directly in the calendar event. And having events and comments added to any sitemap capability would be great, especially for those sites that would use the calendar for highly relevant content and not just birthdays, etc.

Thanks,

Jim

It would get more views and input on the forum than the calendar going by stats from our current setup.

[snip]

Jim

Events and comments on events show up in View New Content in 3.x, and will continue to do so in 4.0.

The latest events can be shown in a sidebar block in 3.x, and this will continue to be supported in 4.0 (this is separate from the mini-calendar sidebar block you mentioned)

I think most of us would assume comments and posts would be synchronized. In my case, it means that users don't need to change the behaviour for discussion. The calendar provides a more structured view for referencing the important info but when they just want to discuss the event they can access it the same way they would any other discussion on our forums rather than going to another part of the site.

I've found people converse differently in a forum setup when compared to a "comments" setup. Usually the forum setup makes for a higher quality discussion.

I do like that calendar items can be commented on, but I have noticed that the blog has some kind of synchronization going with forum posts. Every time there is a new blog entry, it seems like a new forum topic is started with the same content. That was my original hope for the calendar events and I wonder how difficult it would be to implement that kind of synch feature between calendar and forum?

Jim

I do like that calendar items can be commented on, but I have noticed that the blog has some kind of synchronization going with forum posts. Every time there is a new blog entry, it seems like a new forum topic is started with the same content. That was my original hope for the calendar events and I wonder how difficult it would be to implement that kind of synch feature between calendar and forum?

Jim

We use basic RSS import functionality for this. We grab the associated blog RSS export URL and then set this up as an RSS import feed for the forums. There isn't really any special synchronization going on for this (and it isn't limited to blog - it can be done for other apps as well, and even for RSS feeds from third party web sites...I've seen sports teams import news articles to their forums for discussion for instance).

We use basic RSS import functionality for this. We grab the associated blog RSS export URL and then set this up as an RSS import feed for the forums. There isn't really any special synchronization going on for this (and it isn't limited to blog - it can be done for other apps as well, and even for RSS feeds from third party web sites...I've seen sports teams import news articles to their forums for discussion for instance).

This can be done for calendar events?

• 4 months later...

We have several ideas regarding Calendar. There are no promises or guarantees for any of this, but off the top of my head some of the high level areas that could use attention IMO:

• Better recurring event support. There are many recurring event options in other calendar systems which ours does not currently support (i.e. repeat every other week, repeat on the third Wednesday of each month, and so on)

Yes please, desperately need this :)

As an additional, an event location map would be extremely useful

Archived