Calendar Roadmap

BN_IT_Support

I'd be interested to know from IPS what plans there are to develop the calendar app, as it seems to lack even core functionality (custom fields, categories, tags etc) let alone integration with other parts of the suite.

I sort of get the impression that IPS don't use it so it isn't getting much attention!

• 2 weeks later...

We have several ideas regarding Calendar. There are no promises or guarantees for any of this, but off the top of my head some of the high level areas that could use attention IMO:

• An "agenda" view that presents the information in a more event-based rather than date-based format
  • Tag support will be added in a future update for sure
  • Better recurring event support. There are many recurring event options in other calendar systems which ours does not currently support (i.e. repeat every other week, repeat on the third Wednesday of each month, and so on)
  • Flesh out the new RSVP feature to provide more options and functionality, including notifications, yes/no/maybe capability, show or download list of attendees, etc.)

These are just a few things off the top of my head I know I've jotted down to explore when we get to working on the next major overhaul of Calendar. I'm certain there are more. But to address your question, Calendar isn't forgotten - some areas of our suite just needed more attention first.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that the recent flurry of updates have done nothing to dispel my feeling that IPS don't use calendar so it isn't being actively developed. Nexus and Downloads are getting nice little tweaks of carousels and 'manage this' button and yet calendar still lacks basic things that have long been rolled out to the rest of the suite.

Come on IPS - please show Calendar some love. :huggles:

• 1 month later...

We have several ideas regarding Calendar. There are no promises or guarantees for any of this, but off the top of my head some of the high level areas that could use attention IMO:

• An "agenda" view that presents the information in a more event-based rather than date-based format
  • Tag support will be added in a future update for sure
  • Better recurring event support. There are many recurring event options in other calendar systems which ours does not currently support (i.e. repeat every other week, repeat on the third Wednesday of each month, and so on)
  • Flesh out the new RSVP feature to provide more options and functionality, including notifications, yes/no/maybe capability, show or download list of attendees, etc.)

1.- Agenda.... yesssss please :) This is really a muss feature although Marcher has made a nice job here:

2.- Tags and Prefixes would be super nice and help to sort out events

3.- RSVP... I'd love all those features you mean...

Hope they come sooner than later :smile:

And.....

Could you please make possible to link Calendar Events to IP.Nexus and IP.Downloads so that we and other sellers can sell Events, because that is exactly what we need :smile:

And ideally link those IP.Nexus Events to the License Key feature so that we could generate and send unique coded tickets for every purchased ticket... that would be awesome!

Thanks

Mario

• 3 weeks later...

Can somebody tell me can the current calendar on it's own or with some free/paid hooks that it can do the following:

- Multiple categories

- Member add standard calendar event

- Pay via nexus to list an event "featured"

- Ability to feature multiple events

- Display featured events in block and include in IP content home page or sidebar

Like to know current capabilities and 3rd part solutions.

Thanks,

Simon

Can somebody tell me can the current calendar on it's own or with some free/paid hooks that it can do the following:

- Multiple categories

Well you can create different calendars and assign them to different groups and create different blocks in IP.Content. If you want to create Categories, Custom Fields within a Calender, there is 3rd Party add-on which does all that stuff:

- Member add standard calendar event

Yes, with or without RSVP and you can set up different group access types with our without moderation control by groups bases.

- Pay via nexus to list an event "featured"

That feature is not supported right now, since IP.Content is not conected to Nexus they way IP.Downloads is. But you could use the "Classifieds" modul to build something similar or build something in that style with IP.Downloads (that is what I'm doing now to get a similar functionality).

The Classifieds modul includes a per-pay featured Ads and works automatically with IP.Nexus.

But in the case of IP.Calendar you could play with Group Access and IP.Nexus, so that you could set up an IP.Nexus subscription Package set in such a way that when a user pays for that subscription that user will be included in a Group with access to create an event in the calendar(s) you choose for them for a certain period of time.

- Ability to feature multiple events

If you mean feature events in a kind of Slider on the home page or so... you would have to play with IP.Content, Databases and Blocks to get that kind of funcionality.

- Display featured events in block and include in IP content home page or sidebar

I think the "featured event" funcionality is not included as such (I may be wrong) but you could play with Event categories, create a Category called "Featured" and create a Block with that. There are a couple of mods and hooks in IPS Marketplace in that direction.

Like to know current capabilities and 3rd part solutions.

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

• 6 months later...

I too would love a fully integrated calendar system with features of categories etc. I'm currently hooked into time.ly with IPBWI but, it's not ideal by any stretch of the word! A fully integrated calendar with full on calendar features such as time.ly with Nexus for example would be an amazing thing for our community.

What you guys are doing for 4.0 is fantastic - that + calendar focus + Andy's classifieds. :thumbsup:

I think you'd have to define what "fully integrated calendar system" means to you, because IP.Calendar is indeed already fully integrated with our suite. Are you basically saying you want categories in calendar and that's all you're waiting on? What would "categories" do that creating separate calendars right now (a feature that is already present) does not accomplish?

I think you'd have to define what "fully integrated calendar system" means to you, because IP.Calendar is indeed already fully integrated with our suite. Are you basically saying you want categories in calendar and that's all you're waiting on? What would "categories" do that creating separate calendars right now (a feature that is already present) does not accomplish?

Have the ability to sort the calendar view by category type, search by category, being able to subscribe to a category to be notified when an event is posted in that category. All while being able to see all the events in all the categories in one place too.

^^ Yes. Exactly.

For instance our users have been for 7 years viewing an overall calendar and then drilling down into the categories they want to see. To be able to add in recurring events too etc. would be a massive bonus. Having an agenda view with all categories gives an overall view of everything happening and then people can filter.

To have it 'integrated' into Nexus so that people could buy a package - i.e. business advertising for instance of events or tours etc. etc.

You can already filter/view by calendar, search by calendar and be able to subscribe on a per-calendar basis. Different calendars ARE, in effect, categories. The only thing missing there, really, is being able to see a merged view (i.e. see all events from all calendars in one view), which is something I personally would like to see implemented.

Recurring events are already supported, although I realize some users have specific or more advanced needs than are accounted for presently.

An agenda view has nothing to do with "categories", but is something I've read requests for as well, yes.

Your example for Nexus integration doesn't really seem to have a lot of relevance as far as I can tell. The only thing I can see helping (out of the box) might be a "buy tickets for this event" link that shows within the calendar, which takes you to Nexus.

Not to get me wrong. I'm very much for this suite of tools, hence my want for a calendar that had all the bells and whistles. I'm going to look further into what you point out re: categories/calendars and see if I can get away with that as I really want to use the 'whole' suite. I've just noticed overall that some things aren't immediately obvious - no slant on the software - just an observation.

Regarding Nexus. It was more that we have ended up with a community that is half community social and increasingly business orientated. To be able to make people of a business orientation pay before adding an entry to the calendar would be a great addition - I'm already looking into possibly having subscriptions etc. and then allowing that group to add to calendar. On a per calendar entry would be a nice to have.

It would be good to be able to integrate calendar with ipC databases. I'd like to be able to be able to define locations separately from events and then allow a one to many relationship between the events and locations so that you can find all of the events at a specific location and stick these on a google map or some such. You can then look at a map, find a location near you and see all of the upcoming calendar events listed for that location - please.

• 3 months later...

It would be good to be able to integrate calendar with ipC databases. I'd like to be able to be able to define locations separately from events and then allow a one to many relationship between the events and locations so that you can find all of the events at a specific location and stick these on a google map or some such. You can then look at a map, find a location near you and see all of the upcoming calendar events listed for that location - please.

This is a great idea! I can see a huge use for this already. Using IP.Content for a directory of places linking to the events for such places. Integrating maps is a must for events as well.

Anything to help intertwine all the apps to help them connect related content and make them a lot more useful is always a plus.

My community could make good use of a full-featured calendar. I don't know what's available in IPS3, but am anxiously waiting on IPS4. My members belong to an industry that has a variety of training seminars, classes and conventions around the country. Different industry related organizations and manufacturers offer these. Sometimes it's just an impromptu event set up by a retailer or distributor someplace.

It would be great if a member that has an interest in only carpet installation related training, or only sales training, or only training by a specific organization in a specified region could click a button or make a couple option selections and see a list of upcoming events, including a snippet of the event info. Click each event and go to the full event description.

And more. :smile:

Any hope for that kind of functionality in IPS4?

Jim

What would you use a linked topic for?

I could see this being used on my site to start a discussion about the event or training. Members that might have attended a previous one could answer questions about it or share their experiences and media relating to the event, which would encourage others to attend. It could be an option available to create a new topic with the calendar event and include an additional text block for the user to add "notes" below the event info that would show in that first post, but not on the calendar event.

For instance, the flooring industry has a big convention in Vegas every year (my members sent me there last Jan). So, the calendar entry could be detailed information about the event, including graphics, links to register, hotel info, etc. Then the option box is checked to create a topic, using the calendar item title as the title of the topic, maybe a "more..." feature that allows the user or moderator to have the topic only include an excerpted portion of the calendar item in the topic and a text box below the calendar item that, if anything was typed in it, could be included in the first post that would allow the calendar item creator to ask if anyone is going, has gone before, etc. The calendar item would include only the calendar info, the topic's first post would be an excerpted version of the calendar item and the notes, if any.

Although I don't currently use IPS software on my site, we do have a calendar feature. I have it set up so that it is only used for industry related events. It is never used for birthdays or any other personal milestone. However, I could see a benefit for giving members the ability to create their own calendar items that only they (and maybe their friends) could see.

Jim

Would the existing comments feature not provide the same general capabilities? You can comment and discuss the event (or whatever is being added to the calendar - gaming "raid", holiday, etc.) right on the same page as the event, rather than fracturing some discussion to the forums and the rest of the information (and potential discussion, if you leave commenting enabled) on the calendar?

Just curious - trying to determine what benefit the forum synchronization would provide over commenting in this case.

Archived