server running out of memory often

Good morning everyone

During latest 10 days had lots of problems with my server which has maxed out memory and swap sometimes two-three times per day. The hosting online support mentioned there is "something" who`s eating up my memory they had upgraded the php to 5.3 and mysql to 5.5.x and they said to make sure i keep the script and apps are up to date, which i actually did, but the issues continues over and over again. They also mentioned the memory gets eaten up, once swap and physical memory max out, the mysql socket dies. But after being restarted,the dedicated box it's fine.
However one thing is sure they can't tell me what it is, as it doesn't seem to be normal load, but something that happens only occasionally.

The server is managed (not having ssh access) and the server configuration is:
Processor Name Intel® Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.54-MHz K8-class CPU)
Total Memory 8153.59 MB
FreeBSD OS
php version 5.3
mysql to 5.5.x
and IP.Board i use is 3.4.1

My board have around 100k posts and 57k members, also i`ve attached some stats from january:

post-359411-0-44655300-1358586415_thumb.

post-359411-0-27785100-1358586417_thumb.

post-359411-0-28636400-1358586418_thumb.

post-359411-0-09325000-1358586420_thumb.

The applications and hooks i`m using are listed bellow:
Shoutbox app
Custom Sidebar Blocks app
(DP33) Watermark for Forum Attachments
Gallery App
Blog App
Manage Inactive Members
[HSC] News Feed
(DP33) Adverts in Topic v2.1.3
(SN) PM Viewer
iArcade
Links Directory v4.0.4 (Build 24)
Nexus App
classified v1.2.1
(DP32) Forum Icons v2.0.1
Advanced Profile Customization v1.0.6
IP Content v2.3.4
Tapatalk hook v1.2.0
(IPT33) Validating Member Message v1.0.0
(SOS33) Alert to Members with no Posts v1.0.0
(TB) PM on Group Change v2.0.0
New Members Message v1.0.0
VN-32] Sticky Global Message v1.1.0
Closing Reason as Post v1.4.1
Group Format - IP.Board 3.2 v4.0.1
Members Online Today v1.1.0
Show Reputation in User Info v2.0.0
a new gateway hook for Nexus

Unfortunately my techie knowledge is limited and i appreciate any direction in order to find the cause for CPU usage.

Hi

i`ve posted the details bellow:

server configuration is:
Processor Name Intel® Core™ i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.54-MHz K8-class CPU)
Total Memory 8153.59 MB
Disk Space 64 GB SSD + 1 TB HD
System Overview
IP.Board Version v3.4.1 (ID:34007)
MYSQL Version MYSQL 5.5.29
PHP Version 5.3.21 (apache2handler) ( PHP INFO )
Disabled PHP Functions No Information
Loaded Extensions Core, PDO, Phar, Reflection, SPL, SQLite, SimpleXML, apache2handler, bcmath, calendar, ctype, curl, date, dom, ereg, exif, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gd, gettext, hash, iconv, ionCube Loader, json, libxml, mbstring, mcrypt, mhash, mysql, mysqli, openssl, pcre, pdo_mysql, pdo_sqlite, posix, session, soap, sockets, sqlite3, standard, tokenizer, wddx, xml, xmlreader, xmlwriter, xsl, zip, zlib
Safe Mode OFF
System Software FreeBSD
Current Server Load 3.03
Total Server Memory --
Available Server Memory --

System Processes

last pid: 73293; load averages: 3.03, 2.73, 2.47 up 0+19:58:28 02:07:34
210 processes: 2 running, 208 sleeping

Mem: 873M Active, 2735M Inact, 3414M Wired, 51M Cache, 810M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 29M Used, 4067M Free

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
72595 apache 1 76 0 88764K 35024K select 1 0:41 50.29% httpd

The average simultaneous guest+members online are around 400-500.

Assuming the above info is correct the first thing I'd do is look at install APC or Xcache - getting some php caching in there should help quite a bit.

Also, the next time you hit the issue of maxing out the ram and swap, try to get a full copy of running the top command so we can see exactly what process is eating the ram.

Have you tried disabling hooks or look through your System Scheduler to see if a task is causing it?

Mind if i ask you how can i do this with System scheduler?

Will let disabling hooks as the last option, but will try it for sure if it`s neccesarly :D

Assuming the above info is correct the first thing I'd do is look at install APC or Xcache - getting some php caching in there should help quite a bit.

Also, the next time you hit the issue of maxing out the ram and swap, try to get a full copy of running the top command so we can see exactly what process is eating the ram.

Being an managed server ,i can only ask the hosting support about it. I`ve contacted them at least 5 times asking them why it happen the 100% CPU usage and i received only vague answers. Do belive if 4-5 engineers from there couldn`t locate the problem maybe there isn`t a server issue ?!

Just found this thread http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/373467-site-very-slow-after-upgrading-to-340/?hl=%2Bback+%2Bbatch+%2Bsend#entry2337979 and realize my CPU 100% usage have never appear before upgrading to latest version!
That Back Up Batch Send was enabled to run at every minute, and not using at all i just deactivate it now. Will see how is doing without it.

I had a similar issue with The BIM featured topic hook a few months back. It was drawing up way to many resources and kept shutting my server. down. Shut off all of your 3rd party hooks and apps and day by day turn them on one at a time. Process of elimination. If the issue is there you will narrow it down.

Your getting an mysql server has gone away error?

This is normally to do with wait_timeout setting in the my.cnf file ( you won't be able to edit this if on shared hosting - so ask the host)

And reading the thread - I would suggest your shared hosting isn't that good.....

This is what i`m receiving to broswer:

SQL Error
An error occured with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

Its a dedicated server where i host around 5 sites, are all dead, i even cannot login to server via directadmin.

seems to me that was a complaint others had but I forgot how they addressed it.

not sure if it was fixed on a per case by ticket or if something was posted for it.

Will start searching and reading around here, pretty sure will get an ultimatum from the hosting company. If you find these discussions please post them here.

sent a ticket today to support dep now

The problem continues over and over again. Did took a look at latest 10 tasks after the server crashed again and these were listed:
Expire Ads Today, 12:50 pm Classifieds expiration task ran
RSS Import Update Today, 12:48 pm RSS Import Update(
Mobile Notifications Today, 12:48 pm Mobile Notifications
Clean Up MySQL Today, 12:48 pm Cleaned up sleeping mysql processes
Expire Ads Today, 12:48 pm Classifieds expiration task ran
Daily Topic & Forum Digest Today, 12:48 pm Daily Topic & Forum Digest
Mobile Notifications Today, 12:29 pm Mobile Notifications
Expire Ads Today, 12:25 pm Classifieds expiration task ran
Expire Ads Today, 12:09 pm Classifieds expiration task ran

From System Scheduler i deactivate:
Archiver (DISABLED)
RSS Import Update
Twitter/Facebook Sync (DISABLED)
Mobile Notifications (DISABLED)
Tweet Importer (DISABLED) (LOCKED)
Expire Ads (DISABLED)
and also the option "Mark topics a user has posted when displaying a forum " i`ve read about it some members had issue with it and i deactivate it.

Will wait two days to see how it`s going , if server keep using 100% CPU will deactivate all hooks and app

mark2012, on 22 Jan 2013 - 23:46, said:

Hi Sjv

I`ve already posted all info about my dedicated server, infos took them from directadmin and forum ACP >_<

No you are not.

You just simply posted out some information from Phpinfo page. However phpinfo has many other information , that's why supplying a link is valuable to identify your some details on your php configuration.

Archived