Mass Private Messages

Lase

I honestly thought this would be a standard. And it isn't am I correct?

Definitely something that needs doing if it isn't.

I had a look around and found a hook in marketplace but then saw people saying it didn't work. The response was that the app is for version 3.2. I'm on 3.3.

Is anyone familiar with anything that will work currently?

I honestly thought this would be a standard. And it isn't am I correct?

I don't see why it would be standard in software that is aimed at being professional. Doing a mass PM, IMO, is akin to a kid forwarding one of those annoying chain-IM's to everyone on their contact list, at least when compared to a professional grade product. If it's something someone wants as an extra (add-on, as it is), then I don't find it to be anywhere near as bad, because it's being added in as an extra instead of as a stock feature. If I want/need to send out a mass message, I'll do it via the bulk mail option. Something else to consider is that people may have opted to not receive admin emails on purpose, while still opting to receive PM notifications. Doing a mass PM will, in effect, not honor the members preference by means of a 'loop-hole' and could be abused by admins wanting to do that very thing.

mass pm is something would be nice to have in 3.4.x

If it were to ever be included in IPB, then unless it's already been added in (just not blogged about yet), the odds are extremely unlikely that it'll be in the 3.4 series. Since there have been new features blogged (announced) for 3.4, it means that those features have already been added, which means the IPS internal roadmap has already been finalized (feature locked). Not saying it 100% won't be added if it hasn't already, just extremely unlikely. I've seen a couple of minor features added in here and there after the next version has already been feature locked, but for the most part, once we're seeing announcements for upcoming features, it's past the point of new stuff being added for that version.

To be honest though, I hope that IPS doesn't ever add this. If they do, I trust that they will take into account the fact that people who opt out of receiving admin emails will be annoyed if admins are able to get around it via a mass PM.

Well I do get where you are coming from Wolfie and of course everyone has their own opinions, personally I believe it can be a useful add-on when used wisely.
I use it myself at times though only for specific user groups to ensure they all get the required info for our meet ups (fishing).
I don't believe a member should be able to not receive ADMIN mails, it is the admin's site and it may be important info

Just my opinion tho, each to their own :)

I don't believe a member should be able to not receive ADMIN mails, it is the admin's site and it may be important info

Some hosts that actually require that any software you use for your site, if it sends out emails, that recipients be able to 'opt out' or they'll blacklist the software from being used by their servers.

If you force users to receive mails they do not want they will potentially mark your mails as junk. Enough reports will result in a provider blacklisting the server which you use to send the mail, which means you won't be able to send any mails to that provider again in the future (this means registration and forgotten password mails will not be delivered).

It's also a poor user experience... I opt out of most mailings because it otherwise becomes unmanageable.

If you force users to receive mails they do not want they will potentially mark your mails as junk. Enough reports will result in a provider blacklisting the server which you use to send the mail, which means you won't be able to send any mails to that provider again in the future (this means registration and forgotten password mails will not be delivered).

Which is one of the main reasons (if not the biggest reason) that some hosting companies require software used on their servers to allow visitors to opt out of mailings, so that their servers don't get punished for it. When I read about that policy on my hosting provider, I mentioned that I rarely send out mass mails, but also that when someone joins my site (and thus agrees to the TOS) that they basically are agreeing to get such emails and I was told that it's fine. ie that if I do it, since the member signed up and had to verify their account (email validation), that it counts as a double opt-in, so I'm basically protected from complaints if I do it. Anyways... yeah, bad idea to force it. I don't even remember the last time I sent out bulk mail. Only thing sending out emails really is the MIM (Manage Inactive Members), and that's so if an email address goes bad, I'll get a bounce back email and then I can flag the account.

It's also a poor user experience... I opt out of most mailings because it otherwise becomes unmanageable.

I actually will do the opposite. Getting the emails helps remind me of what sites I've signed up on. Helps when I get a rare email from a site I've forgotten about, because then I might decide to visit it again.

• 1 year later...

Archived