WOW Gary's Awesomeness Again!

Well I have had issues since the 17th of July when our server died. We were told we would get a new server and it would be built within 12 hours and a previous backup from the night before would be dropped down and restored and all would be ok.

12 hours later, site was up with errors all over the place, the new server had double the RAM as previous (16GB) and 2 x new 10,000 RPM drives.

Since the 17th we have had nothing but ISSUES. Server loads over 20, and the site going offline. Apache has been recompiled and restored more than 20 times and it was decided by our hosting company that possibly the backup restores was corrupt and they wanted to try again. I even had my own members being banned from a dodgy firewall configuration which was temp banning all members trying to browse the forum.

UNTIL i came on here last night and saw some posts about Gary and his expertise with tuning server for ultimate performance running invisionboard.

I decided to send him an email and was given a response instantly, saying sure i can help, give me your server IP and login details.

Before i passed this info on I asked what the cost would be... a donation of anything is ok... are you kidding me? A donation?

Gary immediately logged on and worked for hours on the server tuning and tweaking everything he could see was wrong.. which mind you was ALOT. He spent several hours working on it as I went to sleep (as i am in Australia).

Only to find when I woke an email summary of exactly what was done.. and my server load now at 0.20!

I must say Gary is an absolute genius in relation to server configuration and setup. He ironed out bugs, incorrect configurations and bad setups for what took my server engineers over a week to .... get nowhere. To be honest I was thinking I would give them the flick and move elsewhere, and this was a last resort.

Please take this as a recommendation to use him for any dedicated server setup including configuration and tuning.. I will be using him in the future for any server related work that I may need..

Thanks again!

Can you clarify which Gary you are talking about? This one: http://community.invisionpower.com/user/137679-gary/ ? Having contact info for skilled IPS server optimization is invaluable... :smile:
Glad to hear you're up and running well again! :smile:

James

Would love to know which Gary it is too, I have one tricky server problem which the host can't solve (just one!), and would love some insight :smile:

Please explain ! :)

And thanks for the nice comments, Much appreciated.

I'd like to throw my support here for Gary as well. Sent him a PM and told him the problems we were having with our server. MySQL usage was a bit silly and causing our server to crash. He logged into our server, worked on it for a few hours, optimized MySQL, Apache, and gave us tips for better security. As a result we've had pretty amazing improvement. It was definitely worth getting in touch with him so we could get our problems sorted. Our forum/server is running better than it has a very long time. I definitely appreciate having someone be able to do this. Invision should really have someone on their team helping do the stuff Gary is doing for members of the community. It's incredibly valuable to have someone who understands servers help those us where that isn't our strong suite. Thanks for the help :D

Archived