Xcache Settings

Ok I got my webhost to install Xcache. Now I have read contradicting things on this forum.

1. IPB will utilize it automatically.
or
2. You have to add a line in conf_global.php right after the <?php

$INFO['use_xcache'] = 1;

Now adding the code left my site a bunch of error messages straight down the page. So what do I need to do to make it work optimally?

Hello, yes you do need that line, that's what tells the forum to use xcache, however if xcache is setup and configured properly, there is nothing more needed, so if you are getting errors enabling it in the global_conf.php file, then the error is with xcache itself.

Ok I got my webhost to install Xcache. Now I have read contradicting things on this forum.

1. IPB will utilize it automatically.

or

2. You have to add a line in conf_global.php right after the <?php

$INFO['use_xcache'] = 1;

Now adding the code left my site a bunch of error messages straight down the page. So what do I need to do to make it work optimally?

This is not contradicting. XCache does more than one thing. Depends on which thing you're referring to.

For IPB to use XCache's user cache (ie storage medium), you do need to write that line in.

If you're getting errors, I believe it's setup wrong or conflicting setup (which is also wrong...). Try to access xcache free of ipb. just make a php file and try to use it.

Make a new file with the following

<?php phpinfo(); 

and nothing else.
Make sure that there's xcache in the list and that sufficient memory space has been given. Make sure that there is no apc or eaccelerator in the list (if it is, your host is stupid).

If passed, try running xcache functions.

Oh no, my host (Downtownhost) is not stupid. They are really good. They have been bending over backwards for me. I hate to ask them do anything else considering this is a XEN VPS. They do everything. I left them 2 weeks ago when I needed a VPS vs shared. And I just went back to my home of over 6 years. I must drive them nuts.. Well until everything is all perfect. But they are perfectionists also. Actually they removed Xcache once out of misunderstanding. And put it back hours later. Groan... Sorry DTH...

Would anyone here be so kind as to help out considering I know nothing about what to configure. Nor even how to configure it. You can't do it in WHM, can you? :ermm:

Now if I use SmartFTP, would I just use terminal over SSH? They suggested I get putty. But I am used to smartftp.

If you get error down the pages it's probably related to the var size,

Edit the xcache configuration in the php.ini

and edit the line: xcache.var_size = 0

make it look like this

xcache.var_size=16

Save and restart the httpd.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Your op cache and var cache (aka user cache) is turned OFF. Turn it ON.
I don't know what your VPS sizes are or its usages, I don't know the appropriate value. I can tell you that your IPB will likely use < 128MB. You could ask your host to turn both caches on with max of 128MB usage. (If your VPS is 512mb, 128 is too big)

Here's the full docs.
http://xcache.lightt.../wiki/XcacheIni

SSH =/= FTP
Putty looks like this...
%7Boption%7D

You can also set up admin panel for xcache where you can see how much memory xcache is using.

How do I do this?

Thanx everyone. Now I wanted to check on this before I proceed. My memory is 1.25/2.5 GB. And my usage is 47%. Just want to make sure I don't use too much or little.

And you are correct on the variables.

[19-Jul-2012 02:16:58 UTC] PHP Warning: xcache_set() [<a href='function.xcache-set'>function.xcache-set</a>]: XCache var cache was not initialized properly. Check php log for actual reason in /home/xxxxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classCacheXcache.php on line 78

* the mentioned ips_kernal file is empty*

Well back to bed, since I am on vacation. And I will give this a go when I wake up. You are all so very helpful here! Thanx many times over!!!

No matter what I make the variables, I get errors. Oh wait, was I supposed to restart Apache? Is that what is meant by "restart the httpd"?

Warning: xcache_isset() [function.xcache-isset]: xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var data caching in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classCacheXcache.php on line 92

Warning: xcache_set() [<a href='function.xcache-set'>function.xcache-set</a>]: xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var data caching in /home/xxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classCacheXcache.php on line 74

PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classCacheXcache.php:92) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 325

[19-Jul-2012 19:27:02 UTC]

No matter what I make the variables, I get errors. Oh wait, was I supposed to restart Apache? Is that what is meant by "restart the httpd"?

Yes.

Restarted Apache but I still get errors.I think I may have to edit a file called xcache.ini, once I find it.

Plus, shouldn't [font=Courier New]xcache.readonly_protection[/font] be set to on?

Same errors?

Assuming centos, your php.ini is found in
/etc/php.ini
this ini also likely has a command that says includes all ini's in
/etc/php.d/
So, your xcache.ini may be found in /etc/php.d/xcache.ini

Whether you write it in php.ini or xcache.ini, it doesn't matter, it's what's more convenient. Just make sure it's not written twice. And keep checking at your phpinfo. It should show "enabled" with sufficient memory allowed to it. If you have managed hosting, you could just ask them for it. You can work 'em like a horse. It's not like you're going to do that every month. If they did a good job, you probably won't bug them for months to come.

@readonly_protection. irrelevant.

Warning: xcache_isset() [function.xcache-isset]: xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var data caching in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classCacheXcache.php on line 92

If you get that and you have changed the var size trust me, Something has gone wrong with the install.

I can put money on that xcache may be running but not cache all variables, Look into the xcache configuration file, Get the username and password they setup, Login to xcache and you will see what's working.

Does it even show when you run the cmd:

php -v

Another thing is, When you change the xcache.var_size, Is this in the php.ini ? Edit it in the main configuration file also.

Lookup xcache.ini

Regards.

Gary

If you get that and you have changed the var size trust me, Something has gone wrong with the install.

I can put money on that xcache may be running but not cache all variables, Look into the xcache configuration file, Get the username and password they setup, Login to xcache and you will see what's working.

Does it even show when you run the cmd:

php -v

Another thing is, When you change the xcache.var_size, Is this in the php.ini ? Edit it in the main configuration file also.

Lookup [color=#272727][font=Verdana, sans-serif][size=3]xcache.ini[/size][/font][/color]

Regards.

Gary

Oh you were right... It was a typo , and something I am quite famous for. I forgot the "M" after the number of MB. Thanx for replying. :smile: Everything is great!

Everyone thanx for the help. And it was pretty painless to do one I did it right. :)

Archived