Basic 10 User Limitation

Kyle F

I think this 10 user limit is a little absurd. This is the only method in which I get IP.Blogs, Gallery, Downloads and Content with hosting where I don't need a secondary Standard License, since the license is included. Still, I think it's a little too much, that we have to pay extra to have an upgrade in package. We are practically paying 5 times the amount we should, just for 10/20 users. :(

I think this 10 user limit is a little absurd. This is the only method in which I get IP.Blogs, Gallery, Downloads and Content with hosting where I don't need a secondary Standard License, since the license is included. Still, I think it's a little too much, that we have to pay extra to have an upgrade in package. We are practically paying 5 times the amount we should, just for 10/20 users. :sad:

The 10 user limit is actual a rather good deal. Not only is it not a hard limit, but you get use of all of the add-ons as part of the package and don't have to pay renewal fees on top of it. You also get webspace as part of the deal. For a year, that's $120 and many sites that offer "unlimited" space/resources for $5 to $10/month have little disclaimers and rules so it's not truly unlimited and you don't get the software. To have the software (everything except Nexus), you'd be paying $140/year just in renewal fees. But let's say that you opted to only renew once a year, that's still $70. Even if you could find a decent host offering similar resources at $5/month, that's $60 + $70 = $130/year to get a similar deal.

As far as the user limit is concerned, that's just in online/active users on your site. If your site is normally doing say 6 users but then you get a spike of 17 users for a little bit here and there but the average remains under 10, then you're not losing out on anything. The 10 user limit is an average over a period of time, not a maximum limit at a time and you could have a user base of over 1,000 users, it's the number that are actively using your community at a given time that is 'limited'.

So, subract $5 a month for a typical hosting fee, without software, and you're paying
(10 user) $5 / mo for Board + 5 apps
(25 user) $15 / mo for Board + 5 apps

Considering all of those apps combined cost close to $350 one time and another roughly $175 annually in renewals... There hosting is a pretty damn good deal.

I didn't take the time to get exact numbers, but you get the idea...

Yes, I understand the package information guys. But my site is suppose to be a community gaming forum. I had 45 users viewing the board yesterday at 6 PM, mostly guests, but that's not the point. I can't have them leaving because the board gets issued a "suspension" for going over the limit. :(

So if my everage is for example 8.33, and I had 15 members online once I'm still good? As long that it happens only once?

So long as the average for any given 48 hour period is still under 10, yes.

Yes, I understand the package information guys. But my site is suppose to be a community gaming forum. I had 45 users viewing the board yesterday at 6 PM, mostly guests, but that's not the point. I can't have them leaving because the board gets issued a "suspension" for going over the limit. :sad:

We don't suspend the site if it goes over the limit - the account automatically gets bumped up the package it needs to be on (we send an email to let you know of course) and then on your next renewal date, the renewal fee is adjusted accordingly.

If you're regularly getting that number of users online just pick a package that suits your needs :smile:

I wonder if IPs would go for a Unlimited package.

Considering that doing something like that could cause problems for other communities and that IPS looks to provide quality, that would be a bad mix. It would take only one client to do something that could cause massive issues for all other clients on the same server. Doesn't matter if it's using up so much space that other clients experience issues from no more space being left or if it's that one client using so much bandwidth or other resources that other sites become slow/sluggish/unresponsive, because either way it would be a nightmare. Having a policy in place to restrict the use of the space or resources wouldn't prevent it from happening because someone could easily violate that policy and the problem would still exist. It's just like having laws, they don't prevent someone from doing something that is defined as being illegal. Yes, IPS could suspend that clients account for abuse, but why open the door for that headache to exist in the first place?

So, subract $5 a month for a typical hosting fee, without software, and you're paying

(10 user) $5 / mo for Board + 5 apps

(25 user) $15 / mo for Board + 5 apps

Considering all of those apps combined cost close to $350 one time and another roughly $175 annually in renewals... There hosting is a pretty damn good deal.

I didn't take the time to get exact numbers, but you get the idea...

Initial purchase of all apps (except Nexus, which isn't available for the Basic 10 unless you buy it) - $312 to $390 for initial purchase (if you buy all at once, it's $312 because of a discount).
Renewal for all apps (excluding Nexus) is $70 per 6 months or $140/year. Just in renewal fees alone the Basic 10 is a great deal, especially for people who are only looking to have a community and aren't inclined to do anything beyond that. Someone wanting more than just that though, then it might be worth considering other hosting.

We offer multiple tiered plans to suit sites of all sizes. If you will exceed 10 simultaneous online users, there are bigger plans that are able to accommodate a site of your size. :smile:

I was under the impression that it wasn't so much a limit of 10 users on the plan, but feeling like they're paying a lot overall. That's just how I took it though.

For a year, that's $120 and many sites that offer "unlimited" space/resources for $5 to $10/month have little disclaimers and rules so it's not truly unlimited and you don't get the software.

Additionally IPS hosting is extremely well optimized and super fast in comparison to those unlimited guys.

Additionally IPS hosting is extremely well optimized and super fast in comparison to those unlimited guys.

My forum was pretty slow when loading actually. It took around 20-40 seconds for the page to load, even for my users. :(

My forum was pretty slow when loading actually. It took around 20-40 seconds for the page to load, even for my users. :sad:

Please do open a support ticket with hosting if you're seeing loading times that slow. You should never have to wait 40 seconds for a board page to load. (That is, provided you don't have fifty hooks, a shoutbox, and all kinds of addons installed which slow things down).

Considering that doing something like that could cause problems for other communities and that IPS looks to provide quality, that would be a bad mix. It would take only one client to do something that could cause massive issues for all other clients on the same server. Doesn't matter if it's using up so much space that other clients experience issues from no more space being left or if it's that one client using so much bandwidth or other resources that other sites become slow/sluggish/unresponsive, because either way it would be a nightmare. Having a policy in place to restrict the use of the space or resources wouldn't prevent it from happening because someone could easily violate that policy and the problem would still exist. It's just like having laws, they don't prevent someone from doing something that is defined as being illegal. Yes, IPS could suspend that clients account for abuse, but why open the door for that headache to exist in the first place?

Id rather have it set up on "your own server" than on IPS's, but I can understand the benefits and security measures.

Id rather have it set up on "your own server" than on IPS's, but I can understand the benefits and security measures.

I was responding to the comment you made about IPS offering 'unlimited', which is different from having your own server. If you're talking about IPS giving you your own server, the way hosting companies work now a days, it would still be part of a bigger server (your server would be a virtual one), that still leaves it open for abuse. Even when someone is using a virtual server and it's limited in how much it can use in resources, if it's being maxed out it can still cause issues for the other virtual servers. Ever had a program running using one out of multiple CPU cores and with a low priority, yet the system seemed to be a bit slower? It's along those same lines, where even a small amount allocated could be abused to cause issues for others. When the resources aren't being abused, then they're all free for when they're needed. That in turn leads to a better responding physical server which then provides better performance for the virtual servers.

I was responding to the comment you made about IPS offering 'unlimited', which is different from having your own server. If you're talking about IPS giving you your own server, the way hosting companies work now a days, it would still be part of a bigger server (your server would be a virtual one), that still leaves it open for abuse. Even when someone is using a virtual server and it's limited in how much it can use in resources, if it's being maxed out it can still cause issues for the other virtual servers. Ever had a program running using one out of multiple CPU cores and with a low priority, yet the system seemed to be a bit slower? It's along those same lines, where even a small amount allocated could be abused to cause issues for others. When the resources aren't being abused, then they're all free for when they're needed. That in turn leads to a better responding physical server which then provides better performance for the virtual servers.

I do not know what kind of servers you have, but I have "A lot" of servers, that I dont use or just use for testing. (In the general sense of a lot, I have a lot)

There are no hidden charges.

If you're on an IPS hosted plan, your monthly bill is what your plan says, nothing more..

If you have a Self Hosted license, you have to incur the cost of hosting, license, and renewal fees for each IPS product, should you chose to keep up to date support.

I'm rather confused... are there hidden charges? On Monday I'm going to pick the $10 per month option. What hidden/extra charges are there?

It's $10 per month for 10 average online users. If you've got 20 average online users, we'll contact you to let you know that your site is growing and needs a bigger package, and you'll be on a $20/month package. Nothing is hidden - the price you pay is the price on our site. :)

I'm rather confused... are there hidden charges? On Monday I'm going to pick the $10 per month option. What hidden/extra charges are there?

It's $10 per month for 10 average online users. If you've got 20 average online users, we'll contact you to let you know that your site is growing and needs a bigger package, and you'll be on a $20/month package. Nothing is hidden - the price you pay is the price on our site. :smile:

Exactly what Collin said, you only pay for what you use. It's not like a cell phone plan, where it's "only $30/month" but after all the additional fees, taxes, surcharges, etc, it's really $45. If you're on the 65 user plan and want to be able to have 50 users in the chat (instead of the 20 user chat pre-included), then you'd need to pay for the upgrade ($29.99/year for 50 users). What you select is what you pay. Heck, when you're making an initial purchase (stand alone license), it tells you up front what you're going to pay for that purchase and the renewal cost for each app/service is also listed.

Archived