Tools & commands to diagnose problems

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

These commands are not applicable to IPS cloud hosting. It’s for self hosted customers with access to SSH. 

Thanks. That is a relief. So what 'tools' in the initial post should I start learning to use do you recommend? Are all these tools recommended in this initial post for self hosted?  

Edited by bradybarrows

4 minutes ago, bradybarrows said:

Thanks. That is a relief. So what 'tools' in the initial post should I start learning to use do you recommend? Are all these tools recommended in this initial post for self hosted?  

Literally this entire thread is for self hosting customers to manage their Linux based server. All of this stuff is done for you transparently by IPS. 

It’s the biggest selling point for using IPS to host the site. You no longer have to worry about the underlying infrastructure. Instead you just worry about running the community and leave the rest to IPS. 🙂

Just now, Randy Calvert said:

Literally this entire thread is for self hosting customers to manage their Linux based server. All of this stuff is done for you transparently by IPS. 

It’s the biggest selling point for using IPS to host the site. You no longer have to worry about the underlying infrastructure. Instead you just worry about running the community and leave the rest to IPS. 🙂

To me this is a no brainer. I am so glad I don't have to know all this stuff you guys are dealing with. Huge learning curve if you self host. I guess you guys have way more free time than paying IC for hosting. 

Just now, bradybarrows said:

To me this is a no brainer. I am so glad I don't have to know all this stuff you guys are dealing with. Huge learning curve if you self host. I guess you guys have way more free time than paying IC for hosting. 

Some of us have been doing this for twenty years so it’s second nature. However you’re absolutely right in that it can be a huge learning curve!

This post does not even touch on making the site highly available or scaling it.  This is simply troubleshooting/debugging performance issues!  So it actually is even more that you don’t have to learn!

Times are changing where you need to know a little of everything to run a website  if you do have that knowledge and skill… great!  If not, no worries since there are great options available that makes it super simple to get started and even easier to maintain.

I’m tagging @Charles and @Jordan Miller here since they have been working on ways of better telling this story and I know they’re always looking at use cases.