need link "Go To First Unread Post"

Ocean West

1. It is smart and logical. Even IP.Board partially does that. You can click on the date of the last post, can't you? Why would you not be able to click on date of an opening post?

2. Aren't we discussing in the customer feedback forum? I am just suggesting that IP.Board should be less 1999 and more 2012 in terms of simple functionality.

Have you ever used gmail?

1) Because clicking on the title already does that for you. You can argue it's also better for SEO that way.

2) Actually you're suggesting that IP.Board be more like xenforo. Really, whether or not it's smart or logical is completely subjective.

Yes, I have.

I can see it here:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2012-11-26 at 10.11.35 PM.jpg

Well, go visit a 10 page thread you haven't read yet and go to page one (by clicking the title incase you're too smart to know how to do that) and you'll see it.

We have always gone to the first unread post when clicking on the subject - I have kept mine that way, as it is the method we have used for 12+ years.

Personally I think it just makes more sense. Rarely do you need to go to the first post if you have already read the first post, you simply want to jump to say page 5 where new replies have been added.

• 9 months later...

Let's necro-post here and bring this puppy back from the dead. I also find it stupefying that in 2013, IPB still jumps to the first post of a thread instead of the first unread when clicking a thread title. Astounded that first unread isn't the default, more astounded that it's not an easy to set option within ACP. Most forum software still feels 10 years out of date, and I'm happy to see a lot of the changes that have come in the look and feel department of IPB since 2005, the last time I actively ran my license, but at the core, we're still hanging on to principles that were copied by all forums of the early 2000's. IPB4 seems to be moving in a good direction from what I've seen, I only hope this issue is also addressed.

For those that will recommend "just make a skin mod or a hook" - are you able to point me to any such mod instructions or hooks? Because I've been unable to find them using Google so far. I did find one skin mod text substitution from back in 2011, but in the same forum someone implied it didn't work with 3.4+

I'm happy to make the change myself because I want this feature badly enough, I just don't think I should shave to. Familiarity with the way "it used to be" is no excuse not to move forward. It's absolutely counter-intuitive to jump always to the first post.

You don't even need to make a hook. You can edit the link in the skin template easily.

It's worth noting that the dot next to the title DOES take you to the first unread post. We tried, at one point when developing 3.0, to do what described above - most clients unfortunately indicated it felt unnatural and unexpected. They'd click on a thread title and end up on page 2 and they simply did not expect that to happen, so we reverted to the functionality we have in place now.

Of course as with everything else I'm certain this will be revisited for 4.0, but I can't say that any specific changes will be made yet. Nevertheless, this isn't difficult to do for your own site if you wish, and if you post in the appropriate peer help forum someone will surely outline what changes you'd need to make.

You don't even need to make a hook. You can edit the link in the skin template easily.

It's worth noting that the dot next to the title DOES take you to the first unread post. We tried, at one point when developing 3.0, to do what described above - most clients unfortunately indicated it felt unnatural and unexpected. They'd click on a thread title and end up on page 2 and they simply did not expect that to happen, so we reverted to the functionality we have in place now.

Of course as with everything else I'm certain this will be revisited for 4.0, but I can't say that any specific changes will be made yet. Nevertheless, this isn't difficult to do for your own site if you wish, and if you post in the appropriate peer help forum someone will surely outline what changes you'd need to make.

Great, I'd love to make the edit. Where and how? In other words, precisely what skin file and what line of code? I actually didn't notice this wasn't the help forum - I have always found the division of forums here somewhat confusing (I've been a member since 2004 or so).

Every board has some kind of dot or icon that takes you to the first post. It's an old and insanely bad idea that every other forum program has copied for the past 15 years. People have gotten used to it, that's why they're resistant to change. Why did so many people use Blackberry devices? They didn't know any better. If the world's population were all well versed in best practices and design, there wouldn't be any design jobs available. Most people don't know what's good for them until it's shoved in front of them.

For version 4 it would be nice if at the very least there were an admin option to set the default behavior. Then sensible (and good looking) admins could simply set it the correct way. In case there's confusion for anyone joining this thread later on: title-click = first unread post.

Why anyone who has started to read a thread would want to go back to the first post on any kind of regular basis is beyond me.

Archived