need link "Go To First Unread Post"

Ocean West

Not explicitly 0-o.

Scenario, 5-page topic, you have only read 3 pages, and you load the topic on page 1 to recap the OP's/first page points before reading further.. or misclick.

The other pages are still unread....

The link still shows in that instance. As Ryan said, it was improved so the link did not show when you are on the last page.

The link still shows in that instance. As Ryan said, it was improved so the link did not show when you are on the last page.

Marcher's post was in response to mine. The OP is saying it would be beneficial to have that same link within topics, if relevant.

If you click into page 2 a 5 page topic, and your first unread post is on page 4, you will see the link at the top of the page.

If you click into page 3 of a 3 page topic, you will not see the link.

That said, the OP is simply asking us to duplicate the link to the bottom of the page, yes.

This really isn't needed. If you click on the date under the username of the "post stats" provided either next to the forum name on the board index or click on the date under the users name on the "recent content" page next to the topic name, then you go to the first unread post. The only difference is that it isn't labeled as "first unread post.

Simply click on the date next to the topic or click on the arrow icon. It does the same thing. :ahappy:

Rimi, there is already a function that does the same as "go to last unread post". If you look on the very page that displays "today's active content", just click on the date under the username and it takes you to the last unread post. Having a redundant link is something IPS has been slowly doing away with, along with other redundant features.

• 8 months later...

You could modify the template and simply change the link. The problem is, many times you want to go to the beginning of the topic, and if the main link always takes you to the first unread post, that is not possible. Instead, we show an icon to the left of the topic title (the blue lit up star or circle icon) which takes you to the first unread post instead.

I just leave that alone because it works as it's intended to do. When you click on the "date" that is referenced to that topic (whether it's on the board index oir in the forum view), it takes you to the first unread post since your visit to that topic. It does not take you to the last post in that topic. Remember, it references "last unread topic", not the last posted message. I wouldn't advise modifying it because, as someone else would say, this function of the "last unread message" is doing exactly what it was intended to do.

Sorry for saying so, Brandon. But I felt that someone had to say that. :sweat:

You could modify the template and simply change the link. The problem is, many times you want to go to the beginning of the topic, and if the main link always takes you to the first unread post, that is not possible. Instead, we show an icon to the left of the topic title (the blue lit up star or circle icon) which takes you to the first unread post instead.

Most of the time users want to go to the first unread post. There are almost no situations in real world when someone sees a topic with unread posts and wants to see the opening post in a thread after clicking on a thread title. The way it should be handled logically (Xenforo does that):

1. a topic has unread posts - clicking the title takes you to the first unread post.

2. a topic does not have any unread posts - clicking the title takes you to the beginning of the thread.

The blue circle icon is pointless. On the thread list under each topic there is "started by (name) on (date)". Clicking on the date should take you always to the opening post, even if there are unread posts in the thread.

I frequently want to go to the first post in a topic even if I have already read it at one point, please don't presume that your own experiences on what real world situations there are are the same for every customer. The current system offers people the way to go to the first unread post, the first post, or the last post, they just need to understand which link goes which place.

I frequently want to go to the first post in a topic even if I have already read it at one point, please don't presume that your own experiences on what real world situations there are are the same for every customer. The current system offers people the way to go to the first unread post, the first post, or the last post, they just need to understand which link goes which place.

+1

I don't think you read my post carefully. My suggestion offers exactly what you said, just in more user friendly way. If you want to frequently read the first post before going to the first unread post (which is weird I have to say...) you still have that option. I suggest signing up at www.xenforo.com/community to see what I am talking about. There is currently no better way to handle it than Xenforo does. And I do think that IPB is generally better, hence I moved from Xenforo to Invision, but there are things that Xenforo does right and IPB doesn't.

1) How do you go to the first post of an unread thread in xenforo?
2) Why cant you just edit the templates to suit your needs?

1. By clicking on the date of the opening post (below the title)

2. Making it work exactly like in Xenforo is beyond my capabilty and I think that suggesting the change to IPB developers is the right thing to do. It would make the product better and more user friendly.

It would be nice if the link "go to first unread" was visible at the top of the topic view

it is.

2. Making it work exactly like in Xenforo is beyond my capabilty and I think that suggesting the change to IPB developers is the right thing to do. It would make the product better and more user friendly.

A skin, heck a hook could do this, not shooting the suggestion down, however, you should understand that the confusion your users experience coming from XF->IPB in this regard would be the same confusion an IPB user would have on upgrade if such a change was made.

it is.

A skin, heck a hook could do this, not shooting the suggestion down, however, you should understand that the confusion your users experience coming from XF->IPB in this regard would be the same confusion an IPB user would have on upgrade if such a change was made.

It is a confusion that users can have coming from any standard internet service, such as Google Mail, not only Xenforo.

Before Xenforo I was on vBulletin. There was a huge cheer from my users about how linking to first unread post worked after we switched to Xenforo. Because it is intuitive, logical and it works like everywhere else, including leading products like gmail and facebook.

Please take a look at the screenshot. It shows you my screen after I clicked on a topic that has an unread post. It took me straight to the first post (while gmail, facebook, xenforo and many others would take me to the first unread). Can you help me finding the link that will take me to the first unread post? Because I don't see it there.

post-149650-0-47778300-1353958394_thumb.

It is a confusion that users can have coming from any standard internet service, such as Google Mail, not only Xenforo.

Before Xenforo I was on vBulletin. There was a huge cheer from my users about how linking to first unread post worked after we switched to Xenforo. Because it is intuitive, logical and it works like everywhere else, including leading products like gmail and facebook.

Please take a look at the screenshot. It shows you my screen after I clicked on a topic that has an unread post. It took me straight to the first post (while gmail, facebook, xenforo and many others would take me to the first unread). Can you help me finding the link that will take me to the first unread post? Because I don't see it there.

post-201612-0-96803800-1353958754_thumb.

:unsure: Should be directly next to reply.

1. By clicking on the date of the opening post (below the title)

1) Now that's just stupid.

2) Pay someone to do it for you.

1) Now that's just stupid.

2) Pay someone to do it for you.

1. It is smart and logical. Even IP.Board partially does that. You can click on the date of the last post, can't you? Why would you not be able to click on date of an opening post?

2. Aren't we discussing in the customer feedback forum? I am just suggesting that IP.Board should be less 1999 and more 2012 in terms of simple functionality.

Have you ever used gmail?

Archived