Please improve feedback when member has run out of attachment space

3DKiwi

Yet again I've had a member reporting a bug with the forum software after their attempts to upload attachments failed. As usual it turns out that they have used up all of their storage space (20mb in this case)

Could we please have a better error message that says what the problem is rather than leaving them scratching their head. The error messages need to say the member has run out of space or if the file was too large or not a file type that can be uploaded.

Here's what you get if you have run out of space:

Flash uploader

Standard uploader. You actually get nothing. All that happens is the file field box is cleared.

Thanks
Nigel

Agree, while i love IPB, the error messages are a bit unfriendly, we aren't all Sherlock Holmes and can work out what it might mean, had the same today when one of my users Pm'd me asking why they couldn't upload any more photo's. Turns out they had ran out of storage space, so would have been nice if the error message told them so and to clear out some of their rubbish (keep it simple) so to speak

Agree, while i love IPB, the error messages are a bit unfriendly, we aren't all Sherlock Holmes and can work out what it might mean, had the same today when one of my users Pm'd me asking why they couldn't upload any more photo's. Turns out they had ran out of storage space, so would have been nice if the error message told them so and to clear out some of their rubbish (keep it simple) so to speak

I think saying "the error messages are unfriendly" is a bit broad. Probably 99.9% of the error messages clearly identify the problem (at least as much as the end user needs to know). If you enter the wrong username or password during login for instance, it tells you the Username or Password is incorrect. Pretty clear.

There are individual instances where the error messages can be improved, I will agree, with this being one of them. I don't think that means all of the error messages require you to be a detective to figure out their meaning lol.

Archived