$INFO['use_eaccelerator'] = '1'; is useless! Use eaccelerator WITH memcached instead.

As I've said elsewhere...

-with-eaccelerator-sessions

Include the eAccelerator session handler. Only enable this when you want to use the session handler. This feature used to be enabled by default until version 0.9.5, see the previous option for why it was disabled.

--with-eaccelerator-content-caching

Include eaccelerator content caching, don't get to fond of the current api. This feature will probably be replaced by a version that is written in PHP, which should transparently replace the current api. Like the previous two settings, this one is also disabled by default since 0.9.5.

Source: https://eaccelerator...leConfiguration

So after install of eaccelerator 0.9.6.1, setting $INFO['use_eaccelerator'] = '1'; is pointless!

Use memcache for that. U can run both memcached and eaccelerator together becasue they cache differnt things.

OR use xcache (slightly slower) which still caches BOTH. (easier setup).

• 3 months later...

Thanks. So are you still using APC or back to eAccelerator?

Thanks.

eaccelerator, it's faster than APC and xcache. Use Debug Level 1 under General Settings and compare "Exec. Time:" in ipb page footer.

I could not get eaccelerator to compile for PHP 5.4.0 so sticking with PHP 5.3.10 because eaccelerator is still faster than PHP 5.4 with APC.

It sure aint broke. And in two years its still the fastest. Sorry i can't run with "feels" snappier. Hehe

I've done lots of benchmarks over the years, never benchmarked ipb but just from the debug execution time along it fastest.

But i guess it only matters if you are getting a heaving page views per min anyway. So not big of a deal for most of us and my ipb site isn't that busy.

Most benchmarks show very minuscule difference in speed between ea, apc and xcache. Among them, ea is least stable primarily due to lack of continual development for continual upgrades in PHP although ea does often win in pure performance bench. I think stability wins over such small boost in performance though.

I've switched from eaccelerator to APC since I've updated my server distro.
1) Eaccelerator shared memory caching does not even work with the newer PHP-versions, so you'd be only using opcode cache.
2) I really don't like the fact that eaccelerator needs to be recompiled on every PHP-update

1) Eaccelerator shared memory caching does not even work with the newer PHP-versions, so you'd be only using opcode cache.

That was the point of the first post of this thread lol:
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/351909-infouse-eaccelerator-1%3B-is-useless-use-eaccelerator-with-memcached-instead/#entry2200020

I cache to shared memory perfectly. What does not work is caching variables as explained above. Still faster than APC and xcache with opcode only and no having to clear caches when editing templates etc.

To each his own. :)

I've switch to APC going forward to PHP 5.4 or PHP 6 APC is going to be built-in.

Unfortunately PHP 5.4 with APC is slower than php 5.3.10 with eaccelerator and have not been able to get eac to work with 5.4. So will wait till 5.4 performance improves even future as they have planned.

I have no issue's with EA 0.9.6.1 on PHP 5.3.10 (a guide bellow).

PHP 5.3.10:
%7Boption%7D

eAccelerator 0.9.6.1:

%7Boption%7D

Memcached PHP extension 3.0.6:

%7Boption%7D

If you have Centos and cPanel you need to first build Apache with EA (using easyApache with PHP 5.3.10) then follow this guide to install and configure memcached.

Remember to replace the versions in the guide to the latest versions - as I did, using memcahed 1.4.13 and memcached PECL extension 3.0.6.

Sounds like lack of know how

It helps if you don't patronize and at least give a guide on how you manage to achieve the goal (as I have above) - then everyone learns.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived