Can We Get a Static Post Link Instead of a Pop-Up?

• Jay •

I noticed that one thing different between IPB and vB is that vB communities have direct links to posts in search results where IPB does not.

Example: http://www.google.co...forus.com+error

These search results should show posts (and other content) with the word error, right?

Second link down is Too bad for you US Government - Board For Us Notice how the link is directly to the topic, even though the word "error" is several posts down. Before someone mentions that the post is probably showing up deeper in the results list, there are only four pages of results (in the expanded list which includes duplicate results), and that is the only link to that thread, even though the word error is in more than one post.

Oh, and there's no preview available. :sad:

Similar search for a vBulletin community (using the word trip instead of error)

FIrst link goes directly to an individual post with the keyword, and a pretty preview is available.

I would imagine this could be half fixed by changing the link in the top right corner of posts to a hard link instead of a fancy pop-up box that contains the link. That probably wouldn't make a preview, though, because a link to the thread on IPB doesn't even show that. I don't know of a suggestion for that. :sad:

We do not have a page to show JUST a single post, which is the difference. I don't personally see the value in showing posts outside of the topic - not only do you lose the context of the discussion, you duplicate the post from the topic view to it's own page.

We do not have a page to show JUST a single post, which is the difference. I don't personally see the value in showing posts outside of the topic - not only do you lose the context of the discussion, you duplicate the post from the topic view to it's own page.

I'm not suggesting that the post link show just the single post, but link directly to the post which is within the thread instead of pop up a box with the link inside it.

I think that pop-up box has something to do with why posts are not referenced in search engines. They don't have to be on their own page to have the link indexed to load the thread directly to that post, do they?

Archived