Forum Upgrade v2.3.x >> v3.2.2

I am in the process of reviewing the 3.2.2 code, which is very different to the previous version I had! Also parallel to this I want to plan the upgrade as we have a big database. A bit about my site:

Members: 12,309 - Topics: 127,209 - Posts: 3,745,804

• Database 5.5GB including indexes
  • Database 3GB without indexes

Can someone explain Sphinx in technical terms for IPB? High level I believe it replaces the full text index requirements of my post table and creates its own index? Also how long does the upgrade take on such a big table as when I moved HDD 2 weeks ago it took 3 hours to rebuild the indexes for our post table.

Appreciate comments/ lessons learned.

/ thanks

I did the same sort've upgrade on our forums the other week 2.3 right up to 3.2.2, the upgrade itself took very little time and happily i had next to no problems, (as long as you're prepped well with your new template/skin and such ready to be imported and any setting changes you need to implement etc ready to be ticked off a list)

the only thing that takes time is the posts table rebuild, our db was about half the size of yours (same for the posts table), took a good 4hours to rebuild for us during the small hours of the morning.

I did the same sort've upgrade on our forums the other week 2.3 right up to 3.2.2, the upgrade itself took very little time and happily i had next to no problems, (as long as you're prepped well with your new template/skin and such ready to be imported and any setting changes you need to implement etc ready to be ticked off a list)

the only thing that takes time is the posts table rebuild, our db was about half the size of yours (same for the posts table), took a good 4hours to rebuild for us during the small hours of the morning.

hey Ant, thanks for the feedback. Doesnt the upgrade automatically try to rebuild the db?

Thats a massive database.. Why so big ?

I manage a community:

• 10,967,827 Total Posts
  • 3,108,358 Total Topics
  • 86,165 Total Members

The database is 2.08GB, Yet when download via GZIP it's around 1406mb on a full table backup?

I can only assume you have lots of unused junk in there, As for re-building it all depends on the server so you should post more about that, An example of our server 16 x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz, Cache, 12288 KB with 32GB DDR3 would take around 15 mins tops, Thats allocating all resources.

hi Gary, we have the standard columns, completely vanilla setup. I make all the mods if we need any, learned thats the best way along time ago!

pid append_edit edit_time author_id author_name use_sig use_emo ip_address post_date icon_id post queued topic_id post_title new_topic edit_name post_key post_parent post_htmlstate post_edit_reason

The reason for the size is due to the lengh of each post, we have a lot of long posts on music charts / statistics etc:

SELECT AVG(CHAR_LENGTH(post)) AS avgLength FROM xxx_posts

606.0587 characters. How does yours compare? It means when I rebuild the post table or import/ export I have to tune my.cnf to build indexes last and some other buffer settings as it is pretty huge.

hey Ant, thanks for the feedback. Doesnt the upgrade automatically try to rebuild the db?

it'll give you the options to skip certain bits or run the sql manually from a shell etc, the post rebuild bit you do through the ACP after the upgrade as part of the "rebuild content" section, all of those should be quick enough apart from the posts, it fixes all the "snapback" tags and such after the upgrade.

Archived