my opinion of IPB 3.2

thomasdw

I just installed it in our backup site,

the only thing that I can say that I liked is the update itself, it did not contain errors.

Other than that, this is a completely useless upgrade that raises questions as to why I did buy IPB

I've spent a lot of time in setting up our site to use the code.

Had I've been so foolish as to update the main site, I would be left with a broken web site.

First : the theme is no longer compatible, as you can imagine - a theme is not free, it represents a significant investment in money or in my case, a couple of months of hard work, and it is not 1 theme, but one for IPB Dowloads and 1 for IPB Blog and themes for other add ons we paid for.

Now I don't have a Portal page anymore, without it, I can close down our site, the Portal Page IS THE SITE MOST IMPORTANT PAGE !

I have key apps no longer compatible - and a bare bones install that is next to useless.

I've spent a lot of money on a webmaster to install and customize the code - and I've spent money on buying your suite, upgrading to 3.2 means I can do it all over again !!!

Now I am faced with a significant amount of work to do, lot of expenses and hours and hours of headaches to make everything right.

IPB 3.2 is not an upgrade - it is a step back, I can't see any advantage in braking up our website code , and I certainly can't understand why should a code update require from the costumer so much work and additional cost and time.

Although I'm no designer, its not as big an upgrade as from the 2.x series to the 3.x series. True, the skin will need updating quite a bit from 3.1.x to 3.2.x but having looked at a few boards that have been upgraded that contained third party skins, they did actually function in a fashion so at least there was a 'base' present to work from if required. A skin upgrade is inevitable with a new major version I'm afraid.

Regarding Portal, you could use IP.Content if you wished although a third party has taken over Portal and it is available here free for active customers.

Regarding custom modifications, again with a major version they are going to need an upgrade but quite a few are now available for 3.2 and more to come, you have to bear in mind 3.2 has not been out that long so it will take a while for modification authors to update their applications.

Note: I'm not staff, just posting my initial thoughts to your topic. :)

You don't have to update?

Windows 7 wasn't compatible with some progs from windows vista and xp, that didn't mean it was a step back. I'm not sure how you can expect a brand new version of a product to come out without there being changes made which makes 3rd party apps , skins etc obsolete?

If they were limited to keeping the backend, the skin and the code the same so nothing changed, it would be pretty hard to move forward I'd say!!

I am not talking about Windows 7 ... I am talking about having a perfectly functioning 100% website that took months to get there with significant input from IPB support team.

this is my website
http://www.lockonfiles.com/
this is how it would look after the upgrade
http://www.crimeanairwars.com/board/

the theme IS NOT COMPATIBLE - gone

the PORTAL of the website is GONE !!! what an idea to get rid of it !!! probably because IPB wants to sell some new code.

I have IP Content, you can look at it ... bought almost everything IPB sells ... oh boy

http://www.crimeanai...dex.php?app=ccs

and now I have to hire a Webmaster to code it to try to make it functional ... now I can spend a few hundred on it ... thank you very much

DEVFUSE ... I bought several of his modules, he will have his hands full making sure his modules (paid) work now, and his version of IP Portal seems not to work, I've added it for nothing.

I PAY A SUBSCRIPTION FOR THE CODE - not so that I can now go on and spend a few hundred in putting together what the so-called-update broke.

Regarding custom modifications, again with a major version they are going to need an upgrade but quite a few are now available for 3.2 and more to come, you have to bear in mind 3.2 has not been out that long so it will take a while for modification authors to update their applications.

imagine had I updated the main site ... I would be left with that for months until I brought it back where it was ...

That site would honestly take most webmasters 1 to 2 hours to upgrade... sorry. All the apps are i know for a fact gonna be upgraded to 3.2 that skin could take like 20 mins if that and i dont see many other changes. The person for you should not have to charge for that it should usually be routine.

Portal is a child from ip content now ips does not have time yo support all these applications they discontinued to 3rd party which would honestly do better there.

Good !!! can you point to me a webmaster willing to upgrade the website in 1 to 2 hours - theme customization included, and the Portal, well - who needs a Portal in a website ? I forgot, I have IP Content ... don't forget to find that webmaster that will set up IP Content for me to look like the one we have already,

and for free - I don't have the money right now to spend fixing what IPB broke for me.

I know of two or three other Flight Sim sites like ours that rely on a Portal, maybe I should warn them not to upgrade yet, save them all the trouble after they do it, you know, not many people test software like I do before upgrading.

Who is making you upgrade? If the software vendors never updated the software it would be a very boring world.

If you have a test site keep the live site on the current version you are running and work on the test site on the styling and getting everything the way you want. Once that is finished updated your live site and import your style from the test site.

I don't like the fact that Avatars are a fixed size. Where as in 3.1.4 you had a limit, but if you wanted to go below that you can. If an admin wanted to change the sizes, s/he could. Now it's fixed. I don't so much mind having to share Profile Photos and Avatars together. That's fine. But I don't understand this hard coded limit... Maybe I've missed something... Can someone PM me if I got this wrong? Surely IPS wouldn't restrict us like that.

Secondly I don't like the fact there seems to be an unholy amount of bugs in 3.2.0... What the hell was the point of all that BETA testing hype, when the 3.2.0 release seems (SEEMS) to have more bugs in it than the BETA's did!

• Management

If you're happy with your site the way it is, then by all means just stick with what you've got and look at upgrading a little further down the road. 3.1.4 and its applications are still fully supported.

Secondly I don't like the fact there seems to be an unholy amount of bugs in 3.2.0... What the hell was the point of all that BETA testing hype, when the 3.2.0 release seems (SEEMS) to have more bugs in it than the BETA's did!

That's gonna be the case for any new software. Betas are great but the number of people using it is minimal compared to release version and it would be impossible to get all the bugs out. SMF has tried to do that with 2.0, no wonder it took them 7 years to come out with their first release..........and they lost me in the process because I was tired of using 6 years old technologies %7Boption%7D

As Matt said, 3.1.4 is still fully supported by Invision, there's no need for you to upgrade if you feel 3.2.0 is not ready.

That's gonna be the case for any new software. Betas are great but the number of people using it is minimal compared to release version and it would be impossible to get all the bugs out. SMF has tried to do that with 2.0, no wonder it took them 7 years to come out with their first release..........and they lost me in the process because I was tired of using 6 years old technologies %7Boption%7D

As Matt said, 3.1.4 is still fully supported by Invision, there's no need for you to upgrade if you feel 3.2.0 is not ready.

If you're happy with your site the way it is, then by all means just stick with what you've got and look at upgrading a little further down the road. 3.1.4 and its applications are still fully supported.

I never said I wasn't happy, and I certainly never said I was happy about my site the way it was (Gallery broken much?). I said I didn't like a "Feature". I said I wasn't happy with the Avatar limitations. There's plenty I am happy about and plenty more I'm not happy about. But the one thing that really gets on my tits is the avatar limitation. Now if this is a bug, I will pipe up and wait for it to be fixed. However if its not, I have the right to complain about it.

Archived