Spam Prevention

Jason H

I get a fair number of tickets about this.. When local mods have permission to report spammers, flag as, I mean.. The only get the little 'flag as spammer' icon in the mini profile.

When it comes to spam.. Even with local mods.. If they have permission to flag.. Shouldn't they be able to do it globally? I mean, if I'm mod of forum A, and I see an obvious spam post in Forum B...

I don't know.. WE might get tickets if it works the other way.. Might be best as is.. But, I'd think if you want someone to be able to flag as spammer, they could flag them, whether they've posted in the forum you're a mod of or not..

I know you can still do it.. Just saying..

Well, this is more once users get through.. Which, is going to happen. I don't care what or how many blocks you have.. If you allow registrations, spam will get through at least from time to time.. There is no foolproof way to do it.. There's only mitigation.

Turning off registration will pretty much stop it. But, an account could be hijacked and it get through that way..

If you trust a mod to be a mod.. My opinion is that you should trust them to block spammers anywhere on the site. And, if they abuse the power, then they probably shouldn't be mods in the first place.

Archived