Topic descriptions no more

TCWT

He said he has seen the mod available. But does not want to use a mod as it may not be around forever...

I see there might be mods to deal with this, but then it appears there is risk of losing all topic descriptions if the mod is removed.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, I was asking for a point to be clarified. :)

Also, if no one used 3rd party applications or hooks, do you think IPS would reintroduced all the removed functionality? no they wouldn't IMO - and all our boards would look and be remarkably, samey ;)

regards
Rich

Thanks for the info. I have seen that mod and am considering it. My biggest concern is that if the mod is removed (like for a clean upgrade) and then restored it might lose the data in the the database because it cleans up its data in the database. Also, then have to "hope" for the mod to be around for the next upgrade cycle. I really try to avoid modifications that add data to the database to avoid long term maintenance problems.

Anyway not sure we have a choice at this point, it is either stick with old software or use a modification. I'm just glad I discovered the feature had been dropped while looking around, as it is not clear the upgrade process would have had any warning of "standard" features being dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway not sure we have a choice at this point, it is either stick with old software or use a modification. I'm just glad I discovered the feature had been dropped while looking around, as it is not clear the upgrade process would have had any warning of "standard" features being dropped.

Yup. We're in the same boat. With the existing state of the 3.x version of IPB, it will be a cold day in Hades before we upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

My site used the topic description heavily but we were very glad to change over to a tagging system - a very powerful solution for my customers.
There is a mod to have the topic description and I find that there is normally a way around things with all the awesome geeks here that work on mods, hooks etc that only cost a few bucks.
Right now the tagging system is great!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived