Suggestion: bbcodes reserved for moderator/admin groups

bpn

As it is now it's not possible to assign bbcodes to moderator/admin groups only. To be able to use them for moderation you also have to give the member group access to using them...
I suggest that the bbcode assignment is based on the group that is allowed to use the code, not the "owner" of the post.

Yes, we used custom bbcodes for certain common moderating actions. Before it was possible to 'hide' them since you could select if you wanted them to be shown at the bbcode dropdown menu or not.
This option was removed when the membergroup assignment was introduced.

You already can do this, and have been able to since 3.0.0. Just edit the bbcode in the BBCode Management page and select which groups can use it.

Ah good I am still using 2.3 so did not know.
Very good to know though.

You already can do this, and have been able to since 3.0.0. Just edit the bbcode in the BBCode Management page and select which groups can use it.

It does not work. As soon as the topic is removed from cache, the bbcode is not parsed anymore. Because you as moderator is not considered the 'owner' of the post.
The owner is the member who posted it. Thus, the only way of making parsing permanent is to allow members to use the code.

As I'm curious, what sort of BBCode are you creating/using for mods and admins, in other people's posts, that require that members shouldn't be able to use it?

Also I don't think there is any FEASIBLE way to make this work as you already said, the mod/admin is not the owner of the post so *if allowed* the member can edit the post and therefore the BBCode.

A member might be able to delete the codes, but not to use them. If a member tries that, the code will not be rendered. (If bbcode use is based on group permission, not ownership, that is.)
Reason we want this to be exclusive to moderators is because members have used the codes themselves and caused confusion...

I think bbcode use based on group permission is more logical that post ownership.

It does not work. As soon as the topic is removed from cache, the bbcode is not parsed anymore. Because you as moderator is not considered the 'owner' of the post.

The owner is the member who posted it. Thus, the only way of making parsing permanent is to allow members to use the code.

We use the poster's member groups to parse the post, so if a member makes a post and you as a moderator modify it to add a bbcode the member can't use, yes this is what will happen. I don't know of a clean way around it I'm afraid.

When the code is posted the permission is according to the BBcode configuration. So if I'm a member of an admin group that has exclusive right to use a certain code I can insert that in a members post and it is parsed normally.

But when the topic is removed from the cache the bbcodes are re-checked, this time against the 'owner' of the post, and isn't parsed anymore.
(Because of this it took a while before we discovered the problem..)

Archived