I hate to ask...

erc

...but I'm going to do it anyway.

I've got a new project coming up, and IP.Board 3.2, Nexus, Gallery, and Blog would do almost everything that the client needs.

I need to do some rough project planning, but it's difficult without having any idea of when to expect IP.Board 3.2.

I'm not asking for a release date, and I understand why IPS doesn't do release dates, but I would be extremely grateful for maybe a release month? A release quarter? I mean, have NO idea what to expect, but I need to tell my client either "I can get started in about a month" or "I won't be able to start your project until mid-summer"

You have to understand that I'm not asking because I'm acting like an impatient child. Pretty please?

While we have internal targets, they're always moving. We can't give an expected release date or quarter at this time, I'm afraid, because it would almost certainly become void within a few days.

3.2 will be released this year. Other than that, we can't make any promises right now.

Maybe you could give an idea of when all new features have been implemented and the software goes beta?

Or, are you still thinking up new features to be included?

Just reading the blog, it would seem that enough features have been implemented already to justify a release.

The only feature I'm really looking forward to is the possibility of a better post editor. I really hope the new editor is WYSIWYG so the "Preview Post" button can be made obsolete. By WYSIWYG, I mean that the post in the editor should look exactly like it will when it is viewed by others including rendered attachments (inlined or ending thumbnails), youtube (and other media links), font (and font size), and width (if skin is fixed width) are all handled well. Hopefully, I'm not expecting too much and the whole post creation process is "app like". Same goes for post creation on a smartphone including being able to attach photos in the iPhone app.

Maybe you could give an idea of when all new features have been implemented and the software goes beta?

We update our site with the new version before releasing a beta. When our site is updated, you'll know a beta is close.

Or, are you still thinking up new features to be included?

No, we are done adding new features. We are, however, still polishing the skin and refactoring some of the existing features to cut down on bloat, antiquated settings and functionality, and to clean up areas that need some attention.

The only feature I'm really looking forward to is the possibility of a better post editor. I really hope the new editor is WYSIWYG so the "Preview Post" button can be made obsolete. By WYSIWYG, I mean that the post in the editor should look exactly like it will when it is viewed by others including rendered attachments (inlined or ending thumbnails), youtube (and other media links), font (and font size), and width (if skin is fixed width) are all handled well. Hopefully, I'm not expecting too much and the whole post creation process is "app like". Same goes for post creation on a smartphone including being able to attach photos in the iPhone app.

We have already included a new post editor, which we blogged about quite some time ago.

Now, this new editor does not show attachments and youtube movies inline - some of those things are technologically difficult when the security of your site is a consideration. When you use some software, such as a blog package, YOU (the admin) control the content. When you are allowing anyone to post to your software, you have to be mindful of the fact that some people will attempt to perform nefarious tricks, so allowing anything and having it work exactly as it does in the text editor is not always possible. That said, the new text editor is obviously a big improvement over the existing one, and should prove more reliable across browsers and with rendering content as it shows in the wysiwyg area.

Attaching photos on the iphone app would be something the iphone app itself needs to incorporate.

Archived