should IPS revamp the error message screen? please share with us what you think

Enkidu

OK. So there has been a recent debate about IPB error message screen just about [url=". I do agree that the error screen need a little bit of redesigning to make it clearer for members. So let me start with why I think IPS should redesign the error screen:

1- because it's just confusing and uninformative
%7Boption%7D2011-03-17_1941.png' alt='' class='ipsIm" alt="" class="ipsImage" width="1000" height="281">

The title of the error screen and the first line of it don't tell you much. It's just saying: An error occured! well thanks very much! but what is the error? what have I done wrong? the second line would make you even more confused: Sorry, an error occurred....(I know you just said that)...If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

You haven't told me yet what the error IS to suggest looking through the help files. I still don't know what went wrong? So far, all you've provided are nothing but general and vague description about an error that I don't even know.

then you'll be faced up by a red box that, finally, tells you actually went wrong. So what was the point of the first two useless lines?

finally, there is tiny box suggesting that you log in and some useful links that seems to me like space fillers. They are always the same no matter what the error is.

2- Because it uses much resources

When google crawls your website, it visits many non existing pages and generated enormous amount of errors especially after upgrading converting to IPB. IPB will serve all the corresponding http error codes using the standard IPB wrapper with all the images and CSSs and JSs associated with the error and all that add considerable load to your server no to mention bandwidth. I just don't see the point of that. Why do you need a fancy page with so much resources to tell the search engine that it's not allowed to access this forum?

I really think IPS should do something about the error screen to make it more clear for users and maybe use the standard message categories of: error, warning, and info. rather than labelling all messages as error messages no matter what.

thanks

Enkidu

You already have the power as an Administrator to make all of these changes, most of them fairly easily.. Ultimately it is that Administrators job to know how to operate the functions of the products they utilize and how to customize them within reason to their needs... I prefer the generic error messages that IPS gives as it will prevent some people from trying to probe behind them

You already have the power as an Administrator to make all of these changes, most of them fairly easily.. Ultimately it is that Administrators job to know how to operate the functions of the products they utilize and how to customize them within reason to their needs... I prefer the generic error messages that IPS gives as it will prevent some people from trying to probe behind them

true but that doesn't mean we can't make suggestions about how to improve a product. Take for example the first two lines of IPB generic error message. Do they tell you anything?

true but that doesn't mean we can't make suggestions about how to improve a product. Take for example the first two lines of IPB generic error message. Do they tell you anything?

The first line tells you an error occurred. Yes, it tells you something. Of course the string can be deleted or removed if you don't like it, but I think it's probably important to designate somewhere that the page is an error page, and it's not good to rely on page titles for such things.

I have no strong feelings about the second line you reference.

Let me ask you this - what would you suggest? You've indicated some things about the page you don't like, but what would you change the page to if it were up to you?

Editing suggestions:

Get rid of the "Sorry, an error occurred..." line. It's redundant to the heading, the existence of help files is questionable, and general users don't RTFM anyway. Those techies who want to find the definition of the error code don't need to be told how to do it.

The last two lines in the red box apply only to customers and could be compressed to:

"Customers, please log out and then log in....etc. If you need help, please submit a support ticket."

The ubiquitous but pointless phrase "...and are seeing this message" is a feat of illogic. Of course you're seeing it, who else would be?

One commendation about IPB error messages and notifications: While wordy, they are polite.

The first line tells you an error occurred. Yes, it tells you something.

this is your argument? It tells you something? :blink: of course it tells me something, it's a valid sentence written in English but that is all there is to it. it's not helpful or concise and we can simply do without them.

Of course the string can be deleted or removed if you don't like it, but I think it's probably important to designate somewhere that the page is an error page, and it's not good to rely on page titles for such things.

Fair enough, how about these error messages, do you think they are lousy or badly constructed?

%7Boption%7D

%7Boption%7D

these two images show good examples of concise error messages. They tell me what went wrong (even if it was unknown), they give suggestions to the users.

Let me ask you this - what would you suggest?

what's the point? you gonna prove me wrong anyway using the good old argument of not having strong feeling against something we proudly designed.

what's the point? you gonna prove me wrong anyway using the good old argument of not having strong feeling against something we proudly designed.

And how far do you think a piss poor attitude is going to get in terms of trying to get a change? Error messages do not always require detailed/verbose causes. Your also comparing a Website Application to a Client Based install and an Operating s ystem

You were asked a question, how can it be improved and in which ways would you recommend, your response is putting two screenshots that aren't even relevant or within the same grounds of the Application Framework you're purposing these changes be made.. You can't honestly expect them to take feedback when your not actually providing anything but criticism

Well, um, if you don't want to tell us what you would prefer to see it changed TO I'm not sure how much you can expect us to change. Suit yourself, I guess. I wasn't being antagonistic or argumentative, I was asking for your opinion. It's of course up to you if you wish to share, or not. Telling us you don't like something, but not telling us what you WOULD like to see, however, is not likely to result in your requests being fulfilled.

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. But when someone suggests to change a certain string to whatever I like and then I say it's true but it wouldn't prevent me from suggesting that and you come and ask what are you suggesting? Seriously you either haven't read the topic or you're trying to prove us wrong as usual. It's not the first time you do that*

Sorry again...didn't mean to be offensive, but someone is gonna tell you that sooner or later

------------------------------

* see, for examples, (1), ([url=")

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. But when someone suggests to change a certain string to whatever I like and then I say it's true but it wouldn't prevent me from suggesting that and you come and ask what are you suggesting? Seriously you either haven't read the topic or you're trying to prove us wrong as usual. It's not the first time you do that*

Sorry again...didn't mean to be offensive, but someone is gonna tell you that sooner or later

------------------------------

* see, for examples, ([url="http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/310637-ipbs-modding-community-increase-it-encourage-it/page__view__findpost__p__1952666"]1[/url]), ([url="

[/url])

You should be able to note from following my posts that I'm very direct and if I disagree with something, I say so. I don't try to "prove you wrong" because there is no right or wrong answer when you're talking opinions. I was just asking you to clarify what you were after. Re-reading my post, I didn't think I did so in a rude manner, either. :unsure:

...Error messages do not always require detailed/verbose causes. Your also comparing a Website Application to a Client Based install and an Operating s ystem...

When you're talking to millions of end-users, as IPB is, messages and labels should be as clear as possible.

Why are you guys pounding on the OP? I just about rewrote the dang thing in my earlier post.

Thing is, the wording of error messages is traditionally a fairly low priority in app development. IMHO, IPB error messages, while wordy and maybe not as helpful as they could be, are at least literate and friendly.

The OP is right, they could be a lot more concise. In some places, the info in the heading is enough.

If IPB wants to contract me to rewrite them, send me a pm.

Archived