IPB 3.1.5 ever coming?

Maxxius

If bug was found, it should be immediately eliminated by the developer. Not in the new version, in the current!

No offense, but if you are a software developer you should understand how impossible and unrealistic this is. When Microsoft fixes a bug in Windows, they don't re-release the same version, they release an update. It's how software works.

We could label the next version 3.1.5 if it gave everyone warm fuzzies for some reason, however we feel there is enough changes coming in the next release to call it 3.2. The 3.1.x branch, while it does have bugs (like every single software release ever in history of time), is not unstable, and is being used just fine by the majority of our customer base. There will always be a point in a software release cycle where we have to decide "do we keep fixing bugs in this version branch, or start on the next version branch". We have decided it is time to start with the 3.2.x branch. While some will want us to infinitely work on the existing branch and add nothing, but fix all bugs (which, again is impossible to reach), most of our customers want us to keep pressing forward, and that is what we are doing.

FWIW, we are not adding a ton of new features in 3.2 - our focus is to polish existing areas, modernize the interface, and improve existing functionality (like the calendar).

Personally I would not care if there were many more minor releases for bug-fixes, but I guess the vision of IPS and their capacities won't allow this to happen. (Sadly for me - I would have no problem with a 3.1.9999 release ;))
Customers are never forced to upload the newest build/version, but it's always nice to have an option.

I don't like the big updates that ship as many bugs as they're supposed to fix, therefore I would have been glad if there was a 3.1.5 for this, in my eyes %7Boption%7D, major bug.

No offense, but if you are a software developer you should understand how impossible and unrealistic this is. When Microsoft fixes a bug in Windows, they don't re-release the same version, they release an update. It's how software works.

We could label the next version 3.1.5 if it gave everyone warm fuzzies for some reason, however we feel there is enough changes coming in the next release to call it 3.2. The 3.1.x branch, while it does have bugs (like every single software release ever in history of time), is not unstable, and is being used just fine by the majority of our customer base. There will always be a point in a software release cycle where we have to decide "do we keep fixing bugs in this version branch, or start on the next version branch". We have decided it is time to start with the 3.2.x branch. While some will want us to infinitely work on the existing branch and add nothing, but fix all bugs (which, again is impossible to reach), most of our customers want us to keep pressing forward, and that is what we are doing.

FWIW, we are not adding a ton of new features in 3.2 - our focus is to polish existing areas, modernize the interface, and improve existing functionality (like the calendar).

Sounds good to me. Rough time frame? Before March? Before April?

Personally I would not care if there were many more minor releases for bug-fixes, but I guess the vision of IPS and their capacities won't allow this to happen. (Sadly for me - I would have no problem with a 3.1.9999 release ;))

Customers are never forced to upload the newest build/version, but it's always nice to have an option.

I don't like the big updates that ship as many bugs as they're supposed to fix, therefore I would have been glad if there was a 3.1.5 for this, in my eyes %7Boption%7D

, major bug.

They've already confirmed they're working on it and it will be fixed in the next release, it just happens to be called 3.2 rather than 3.1.5 for all the new stuff that's coming.

It's not not getting fixed.

They've already confirmed they're working on it and it will be fixed in the next release, it just happens to be called 3.2 rather than 3.1.5 for all the new stuff that's coming.

It's not not getting fixed.

The difference that suddenly come into my mind:

3.2 is further away, for there are not only bug-fixes but also new features, therefore many will have to renew to use functionality that is already in the software.

I'm not only talking about this specific bug, but the release-cycles generally. A new major release will be more likely to bring more bugs than a minor fix of a such.

The difference that suddenly come into my mind:

3.2 is further away, for there are not only bug-fixes but also new features, therefore many will have to renew to use functionality that is already in the software.

I'm not only talking about this specific bug, but the release-cycles generally. A new major release will be more likely to bring more bugs than a minor fix of a such.

The bug fixes are, for the most part, already bug-fixed. The features are being worked on. It is not as though this is already complete and they are just holding it back from you. They have a whole team of people dedicated to working for you, and they are.

This is true, but it fixes the bugs that you want fixed. Nothing IPS does is broken forever, and usually not for very long. If it's major, it gets patched and fixed instantly.

Some of us would rather not upgrade our board every other day anyway. Trust the system, it has worked for a long time and it will continue working.

The bug fixes are, for the most part, already bug-fixed.

I don't think I understand, can you please elucidate? (english isn't my mothertongue and this sentences seems odd)

The bug fixes are, for the most part, already bug-fixed. The features are being worked on. It is not as though this is already complete and they are just holding it back from you. They have a whole team of people dedicated to working for you, and they are.

No, but generally speaking, there are bugs that are fixed but won't get released until 3.2, which will likely introduce new bugs (as it's software, and software is made by imperfect humans - errare humanum est). So instead of us getting the choice between a fixed version without new features and the one with the new features but also new bugs, we only get the later, although the bugs are already fixed... (looking at the tracker)

This is true, but it fixes the bugs that you want fixed. Nothing IPS does is broken forever, and usually not for very long. If it's major, it gets patched and fixed instantly.

What is major, what minor? Is there an objective view on this, can there even be an objective view?

Some of us would rather not upgrade our board every other day anyway. Trust the system, it has worked for a long time and it will continue working.

And you would not be forced to, now would you? I never trust any system that is not open to criticism, and the least are.

I simply prefere the rolling-release-system which I know from gentoo over the "adobe/ms/google/apple/..." way of release-cycles. That's all :) I know I won't change the system though...

Personally speaking I have great faith in IPS to control the releases, I know they take bugs seriously and they get fixed, if they are security bugs they get done straight away, I don't want a static version of my board that has zero bugs because thats all IPS spend their time doing, I want a board that is being constantly developed.

If you have time to upload patches ever hour of every day as you say then you have time to search out the bugs and fix them yourself if thats your want, me I would rather spend the time on my community which is what I use the software for.

I want a board that is being constantly developed.

... and distributed (for me!). I'd love a rolling-release manner

If you have time to upload patches ever hour of every day as you say then you have time to search out the bugs and fix them yourself if thats your want, me I would rather spend the time on my community which is what I use the software for.

Every hour is a bit over top isn't it? It's a pseudo-argument... what about packing a new version every two weeks if there are bugs fixed?

And no, it's a difference if I fix a bug that is already fixed by the developers (!) is not released or if it's not fixed. If it's not fixed and it bothers me I would probably try to fix it. And it's also a difference in time for me if I fix a bug or upgrade to a new version.

No offence too but I think you meant to say Apple rather than M$ (If we have a phone with dead spot then argue that all mobiles have dead spots).

You're missing the point here. The point here is that there are basic features that are simply broken or don't behave as expected like VNC. VNC is a basic feature of any forum software. Would you buy a mobile phone that can't let you search your contacts if the maker promised to fix it six months from now?

And the point thats been made that you guys don't get is that IPS has to modify a lot of core files, which in its own takes time. The VNC bug isn't some little thing that can be fixed with a few changes, it requires drastic changes across the system. This isn't something that can be patched in a day and be over with.

People get so angry with companies when they don't get their demands answered right away, even if the company says that it is being fixed, and that it cannot be released as a small patch right away.

Would you rather have small patches that only mask the problem, or a large one that fixes the issue, and will keep it fixed? You choose, but just stop whining about it all the time.

U are NOT M$ and never become them. If I develop an application or hook to order, I rectify errors if they are, instead of I suggest the user to wait, while I will think up the new version. It's how my software works.

I don't ask about 3.1.5, I ask about update and bugfix for 3.1.4. For me and other customer, who doesn't want to be a member of your "racing team".
I've paid money and since November (3.1.4.) fix your errors by yourself. I can, you can't?

By the way, run open poll:
1. I want have patches for current version.
2. I am ready to use version with bugs and ready to wait for the following version.

And will see a counter of "most of our customers want us to keep pressing forward" on our display.

There are self-patches for each bug available for the current version in the bug tracker. They tell you what you need to do to fix most of them, but with things like VNC that you keep complaining about the changes are too deep to release without changing a lot else, so you have to wait.

tl;dr Chill out man, this won't change anything.

• Management

IP.Board and all of our software has bugs. We will be the first to admit it. But then all software has bugs so that's not a revelation :)

As Brandon said, we could call the next release 3.1.5 but we are choosing to call it 3.2.0. That's all just numbering - either way there will be another release that will fix bugs that are reported. That is the nature of software development.

We are not tearing apart our software and rewriting our core or anything to create version 3.2.0 so there will not be a a mountain of new bugs introduced. No need to worry there :)

Archived