Memchached and conf_global.php settings

Hello

my server:

Cpanel server
Php as fastcgi and suexec
2x Intel Xeon Quad 5405
16 GB ram - (4gb free)

I was thinking to try a caching system for my forum 2.3.x for caching some queries for my database and i have some info about:

APC: stable
eAccelerator: fast
xcache: faster
memcached: fast (better for multi servers)

Now on my server (only one dedicated) i was thinking to try the memcached and then the xcache and i need your opinion and what settings i must add on conf_global.php?

Do i have to add there some info as i was thinking it will run on server side and it will work even if i don't add anything there or not?

Thank you

I think your confused on things.

APC: stable

eAccelerator: fast

xcache: faster

memcached: fast (better for multi servers)

Everything above is wrong.

Memcached is just like a driver engine, this is pointless if you do not have Memcache installed.

eAcclerator is good but I do not suggest on busy servers due to memory consumption.

APC is just bog standard caching system.

xCache is good as it takes the load from the CPU and uses it based on free memory and with you only having 4GB left, I strongly would not even think about trying it.

You cannot run any of the following cache scripts togather or you will most likely see a server crash due to lack of memory.

See Cache scripts are exactly what it says, They work based on images and things what do not change in the views so it stors the data for when tis called next its pre-done so it will load quicker..

with you saying 4GB free, your currently using 12GB ! On what exactly, I can only assume FCGI is doing this and it seems that given 1 website on the server, you may wish to switch to CGI for stability.

You should go through the logs and check what the issue is before adding anything.

Login to ssh and type:

Then press M

SHIFT + M

This will sort everything out by memory usuage, Check for anything high.

Now this could not be the entire issue, The issue can also be the kernal, The latest RHEL build almost killed my server due to all modules being added which we did not use, Now yes everone advised that you must update your kernal due to the exploits, That is completly wrong and could do more damage, The best thing would be to get someone professional to build a new custom kernal based on security and performance.

Another thing is by running suexce you will see that the processes are running under the account name, Now you could have alot of idle ones there what are stuck, Try clicking a process under each suexce name and then click kill all processes by ( account name ) Once done it will restart it and and kill of any ones not in use, You will instantly kow as the swap would have drasticly dropped.

I was looking for a way to cache some database queries as when i edit a topic and press save then sometimes i got Internal server error and when i refresh the edit is there and all are ok and done.

I think the problem is on writing on the database.

?

I was looking for a way to cache some database queries as when i edit a topic and press save then sometimes i got Internal server error and when i refresh the edit is there and all are ok and done.

I think the problem is on writing on the database.

?

Internal server is not a database problem my friend.

Its server configuration that causes this, Try general the error again by going to the same post / page, Once you do check the logs via cPanel or your WHM apache error logs.

Post the output and we shall proceed further :)

Archived